Monday, April 15, 2013

REVIEW: Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

Title: Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
Pages: 352
Publisher: Orchard Books
Publication Date: 7th February, 2013
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting-or stealing-whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir-this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.

 --Goodreads summary

I didn't think this serious could get any better.

I was wrong.

Firstly, KAT AND HALE ARE TOGETHER. Do you even need to know any more??

Kat really made the book for me, I think. I've loved her since HEIST SOCIETY, but in PERFECT SCOUNDRELS, Kat really shone. Her strength through everything going on surprised me, but I should have known. I liked seeing the conflicted emotions sparking inside her, after all, even thieves lose some of their confidence.

I also really can't get enough of Hale. With the death of an extremely close relative, we get to see the more vulnerable side of Hale, and though the circumstances are not ideal, I really enjoyed seeing it. Rather than revolving around Kat's family, the story focuses on Hale's background, and there was so much to it that made me love him: his family's nickname for him (squee), his relationship with his parents. It was also nice to see him as an actual character rather than just a love interest, which I've found is happening in more than a few YA books now.

I don't even think I need to mention how happy the return of the crew/my (ONE DAY) bffs Uncle Eddie, Gabrielle, Simon, and the Bagshawe brothers. They were all as clever and fabulous as usual.

 The book's heist, though it doesn't involve Hale directly for a lot of it, tugged on my heart strings to the point of ripping the out. It's so clear here how Kat feels for Hale, how they all feel for Hale really, but Kat the most. It's all for him and I want to stop typing before I start bawling at the thought. (sigh). It's clear that this mission isn't like anything they've previously carried out. No, it's more on the personal side of things, more intricate.

Although I loved reading the book, I did find myself getting angry quite a lot during. Mostly at Hale. Okay, always at Hale, despite what I said earlier. Like just everything he did I was like "no Hale you can't that is not okay" "pls can i strangle you now i don't care how hot you are" but I'm not going to lie I still adore him and by the end I was like "you go boy" ok I will shut up now. My bbys <3 font="">

Ally Carter is the goddess of YA mysteries, in my eyes. She has this super-special ability that not only captivates you, but completely immerses you in the characters' world, and even though I had a million things to do, I just had to finish reading it in one sitting. I know some people were disappointed in the book overall, but I am not one of those people. If you've failed to pick up any of this series, I demand you do so immediately because PERFECT SCOUNDRELS is really just the icing on the Amazing Ally Carter cake.

Wait, I'm just going to highlight the fact that Hale's real name wasn't revealed in PERFECT SCOUNDRELS. Do you know what that means?
A  F O U R T H  B O O K
(pls ally carter make this happen 4 me pls x)
(i need to stop kidding myself i know)

(apologies for this because i haven't written a review in years)
“...

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD!!!! Kat and Hale are together?!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, I love your dancing alien! Almost as much as I loved this book ;) I agree it really tugged on your heartstrings and it was as impeccably thought out as always! Cannot wait for book 4. I kinda wanna know Hale's name, but I also know that will mean the end of the series....CONFUSED

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home