Friday, March 08, 2013

REVIEW: Sister Assassin by Kiersten White

Title: Sister Assassin by Kiersten White
Pages: 302
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 19th February, 2013
Format: Paperback, ARC
Source: Publisher (for review)

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.
 
 --Goodreads summary

SISTER ASSASSIN is in no way similar to the Paranormalcy trilogy, except for the fact that it is awesome. Maybe awesomER. Y'know how PARANORMALCY had a sort of, cutesy/fluffiness to it? It doesn't exist in this book. Not. At. All. And while the fluffiness was something I adored in PARANORMALCY, SISTER ASSASSIN brought me something better: pure badassery.

SISTER ASSASSIN tells the story of Fia and Annie, two sisters with supernatural abilities. I don't really know how to describe it any other way. It's a wild ride. The novel begins with Fia, a trained, teenage assassin, who must follow whatever orders she is given by the head of the Keane Foundation - the school that offered a sanctuary after the death of her parents - to protect her sister, Annie. Until she receives an assignment that involves murdering a boy her age. A boy who is kind to puppies. So she does the only other thing she can think of. She tries to help him escape. And then a whole list of events occur and things get really complicated.

The prose was pretty jumpy and unpredictable, scattered with flashbacks from the past as well as the future (le cough) but unlike the (seemingly) majority of people, I thought it really worked and created a wickedly dark atmosphere. 
 
I love love loved Fia's personality, her anger and pain in particular. I was quite surprised, actually, to see such a different feel from PARANORMALCY. It was more sinister, even seductive at times. All the mystery behind this so-called boarding school that the sisters go to, in which the lessons are specific towards their special abilities was thrilling, and Fia's feelings about the school and the everyone who works there and just her feelings for everything in general were executed fabulously. Also, there is a love triangle. But it is GOOD. Well, I think so. (I'm a really bad judge at what is and isn't a Good Love Triangle).

However, I have to address the small problem of the UK title and what it references. SISTER ASSASSIN. I didn't really like it at the start for some reason, but now I have a reason because it doesn't really fit the book. I said above that I loved Fia's character, but I would've like to see more of the action scenes, and more, well, action. I wanted kickass assassin, but then I remembered that Fia kind of didn't kill her target at the start of the book, because he was adorable, and stopped to help a puppy. *sighs* That was the only thing that disappointed me a bit. Had the UK edition been called MIND GAMES like the US one, I would've agreed with the title completely, because this book is one hell of a mind game. White was incredibly sneaky with her writing style, and the disjointed prose makes sense once you look at it from the psychological perspective.

In addition to the title thing, I would've liked to know a bit more backstory about the other characters. Every one of them intrigued me, and I'm really hoping that in the next book we learn more about them. The only person I feel I really got was James. I really, really liked James, and I thought the similarities between Fia and his situation helped their relationship.

When I finished reading it, I wanted to go back to the first page and read it all of it again. The ending was shocking and totally crazy and I have so many questions, but I still came out of it with a 'mission: complete' kind of feeling. SISTER ASSASSIN is by no means a simple read, far from it, and I applaud Kiersten White for this. If you're up for a bit of edginess, a bit of sexiness, SISTER ASSASSIN will definitely deliver, with its stream-of-consciousness narrative and intoxicating mood.
 
“We stumble out onto the street, wrapped around each other, and I am light-headed and my feet can't trace a single line, and I can't feel anything. 

Right or wrong of even my hands.

It's glorious.

♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. I gotta say, love the sound of pure badassery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this book sounds totally amazing! <3 I didn't read many stunning reviews on this one, but your review made me aching to grab this book ASAP! I love that you mentioned Fia's dilemma having to kill the guy who's kind to puppies. *dreamy sighs*

    Fabulous review, Iffath! <3

    PS: sorry about the earlier comment! I messed up a little. >.<

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home