Wednesday, March 06, 2013

REVIEW: Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Title: Geek Girl by Holy Smale
Pages: 384
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 28th February, 2013
Format: Paperback, ARC
Source: Publisher (for review)


Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

 --Goodreads summary

FIVE STARS FOR YOU MISS HOLLY SMALE.

Holly Smale, you are my new hero. *tackle hug*

When I first got an email about GEEK GIRL, my eyes glazed over. The synopsis sounded like something I (and many, if not all, of my fellow bloggers and readers) would adore. And it WAS. Oh, how bloody perfect it was. It's quite similar to THE LOOK by Sophia Bennett (who I may or may not be a bit obsessed with) and that book is FABULOUS, so there you go.

At first, I didn't want to read it because I expected it would blow my mind and if I read it then I'd never be able to read it for the first time again, and I'd have to wait an extra three months for the sequel and everyone knows waiting is icky so I caved. I still haven't decided whether I regret or cherish that decision.

As soon as I turned that very last page, I took to lamenting about it on Twitter. Basically said everybody had to read it and if they didn't I would eat their parents. I am not sorry for those tweets.

Harriet is your stereotypical geek (the girl I am), and she's proud of it, practically laughing in the face of popularity. When her best friend, model-wannabe Nat (the girl I WISH I was) drags her along to the Clothes Show Live on a school trip, Harriet is not a Happy Bunny. Needless to say, some small disasters occur. And um, a bit of a big one. Also...Harriet kind of gets scouted by Wilbur, who works at a modelling agency. Oops.

Harriet proceeds to hide under a table (hiding under furniture seems to happen a lot in this book--you should try it, it's reaaaally fun) and there she meets Lion boy. Also known as Nick, and THIS IS WHEN HARRIET'S LIFE REALLY BEGINS (okay not really, but it's a CRUCIAL SCENE)*.

You would never have guessed that GEEK GIRL is Holly Smale's debut novel, honestly. Smale's writing is so smooth and compelling. The story and characters were fresh, and exciting and I reaaaally can't wait for you guys to read it and love it like I did! Intertwined in the story are some very interesting messages, and though portrayed in a quirky, light manner, Smale still managed to get across meaning and thought. GEEK GIRL is a charming book, with no shortage of laugh-out-loud moments, and of course the magical fairy king that is Wilbur. That's "bur, not iam."

I suggest you get yo' geek on and get GEEK GIRL as soon as February 28th arrives NOW because it's already been out for nearly a week and why haven't you got it yet????

*and not just because nick is really hot and lovely and a freakin' FAMOUS MALE MODEL

.”

♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I loved reading your review for this one Iffath! It really does sound fabulous and I can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with EVERYTHING HERE. And it's true, I didn't even REALISE it was a debut novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant review! I really enjoyed this as well - especially the fabulous Wilbur.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home