Monday, December 17, 2012

Class of 2012: Head of the Class



It's that time of year again, when it's...nearly over. Haha. A couple of weeks ago, I found out about the YA Superlative Blogfest, hosted by Tracey NeithercottKaty UppermanJessica Love, and Allison Miller and I HAD to participate because it looked like loads of fun.

realise that nobody actually cares but this is the first post I've written in ages because of school and stuff and now I feel really good so THERE.


Favourite Dystopian
  
INSURGENT by Veronica Roth // UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi

INSURGENT, OMG. One of the best sequels I've read this year. I already fangirled about it in my review, so I won't say anymore. I finished UNDER THE NEVER SKY last week and I am so, so glad I finally got around to it. I've picked it up a number of times, and never got past this one part around 10% through, but the team at Epic Reads convinced me I had to read it and it was seriously good.


Favourite Science Fiction
UNRAVELING by Elizabeth Norris

All the plot twists and action and wow, this hooked me so bad. And it was so freakin' creepy. In the best way possible.

Favourite Fantasy

THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater. I just don't think I'll ever read anything that Maggie Stiefvater writes that I end up not liking. Even a LITTLE bit. I'm not really into fantasy, but THE RAVEN BOYS ended up being one of the best books I read this year. The writing was captivating, and had the beauty of Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy that I loved so much.

Favourite Contemporary
ALL OF THEM. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Do you actually need me to say anything. I think not. (I will probably end up on the floor or something, anyway).

Favourite Action/Adventure
DARK EYES by Patrick Carman

Erm, Russia and violence. What more could a girl want??

Favourite Historical Fiction
ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell

Oh God. This is everything I could ever have wanted from reading a book. It's up there with THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, you guys. I kind of don't want to talk about it because I want it to be all mine forever and ever. It features ELEANOR & PARK, both misfits, both normal people, and how they fall in love and srsly it will break your heart and stick it back together just to break it again and evERythING.

Favourite Comedy
ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL by Jesse Andrews

This book features cancer. Specifically, a girl who has cancer. I don't think you would usually associate comedy with cancer, but this is one of the funniest cancer book I've ever read. I mean, I've only read like, three or something, but still. Light-hearted and not what I was expecting. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

GEEK GIRL by Holly Smale

This doesn't publish until February 2013, and I seriously cannot wait until you guys get to read it. Super fresh and funny and I'm a bit in love with Nick who is a MODEL and...yeah. And Harriet is adorable. (She's 15 and I turned 16 a couple of weeks ago therefore I am ALLOWED to say that).

Favourite Mystery
THE MADNESS UNDERNEATH by Maureen Johnson

Maureen Johnson and oh mY GOD I REALLY CAN'T WHY IS SHE SO MEAN
Why does she have to do this to me
Why does she have to write these kind of books
WHY.

Favourite Romance
TIME BETWEEN US by Tamara Ireland Stone

In TIME BETWEEN US, Anna and Bennett fall in love. But the thing is...Anna's currently living in 1995 and Bennett is in the future, in 2012.

Favourite Paranormal
ENDLESSLY by Kiersten White

I haven't read much paranormal this year, because I've kinda gone off it a little, but how could I NOT read this? Kiersten White's Paranormalcy trilogy is fabulous, and ENDLESSLY was no disappointment at all. It's all the good parts of paranormal and FUNNY. Evie is my gurl.

Favourite Family Drama
WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SUMMER by Jenny Han

Finally, finally this came out in the UK. And I was *very* happy to see that all the drama I love from the previous books makes an appearance. But I'm sad because the trilogy has ended :(

Favourite Genre Blender
EVERY DAY by David Levithan

My Kindle broke whilst I was in the middle of reading this. I didn't read anything for over a week, waiting for my replacement to arrive. Why? Because I couldn't bear the thought of reading something else when I hadn't finished EVERY DAY. It's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I could't read anything for days after I had finished it. David Levithan, please let me inside your head. I'm pretty sure it's paradise.

Tomorrow, it's the popularity contest (YA characters of 2012 FTW). Do visit.

♥Iffath

13 comments:

  1. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl looks so, so, so good. And the cover! It's my favorite. So much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great books on your list! I've read a couple of them and others are sitting on my TBR list waiting to be read. Thanks for the reminders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Some awesome choices and some I definitely need to read! I have Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl sitting on my shelf. I just bumped it up the TBR! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I put TFIOS down for comedy--I think really awful things can make for the best comedy. That's certainly how I operate IRL, anyway. I am a total "use jokes to cope with pain" kind of person, so I love Hazel's sarcastic voice in TFIOS. I've heard great things about Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a lot on here that I think I'm going to have to read. I loved The Raven Boys, too--as you saw. I love love love that Insurgent cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, great choices! We have quite a few books in common. Yay for WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SUMMER -- I love Jenny Han!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Endlessly out from the library right now, so I'll be reading it soon. I was unimpressed with Supernaturally, but I loved Paranormalcy so much that I have to finish the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow--I love that cover for INSURGENT. Was that the UK edition? TIME BETWEEN US is one I want to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved UNDER THE NEVER SKY, too! And I can't wait to read RAVEN BOYS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a bunch of books on here that I haven't read yet... I'll add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so intrigued by Time Between Us since it seems like such a popular pick. I also adore the covers of ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL and Eleanor & Park. I think I might pick those up too.

    I really enjoyed Paranormalcy. I need to get to the other 2 books asap! And I totally agree with you about Every Day and The Raven Boys. Such masterfully written books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your choices were different from others! Endlessly looks like a great book! I am going to add it to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home