Thursday, October 25, 2012

REVIEW: Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone

Title: Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
Pages: 384
Publisher: Doubleday Children's Books (Imprint of Random House UK)
Publication Date: 25th October, 2012
Format: Paperback, ARC
Source: Publisher (for review)


Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett’s unique ability to travel through time and space brings him into Anna’s life, and with him, a new world of adventure and possibility.

As their relationship deepens, they face the reality that time might knock Bennett back where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate—and what consequences they can bear in order to stay together.

 --Goodreads summary

I remember somebody tweeting about this book, saying they loved it, with a brief summary, and with that tweet I knew I had to read it. So I visited Tamara Ireland Stone's website, and read basically everything there was up there about the book (SEE). I don't usually do that for books, unless it's something I really, really want to read, or it's already out, so I was pretty surprised. I'm not gonna lie, everything I read just seemed so intriguing. I devoured it. And I knew that I'd devour the book, too. So super thanks to Random House for sending me a copy. I nearly died when I opened the package!

The concept of the book itself was so romantic and I'm a total sucker for romance. Also, reading it was totes part of my Extended Project research (on love stories). The whole being set in the 90s thing was also really interesting, and another reason why I was drawn to the book. I was born in the 90s ('96 babies HOLLA) and I haven't read many books set in that decade which is why I made a note to try and do that. It's like, historical? But like, not? You probably have no idea what I mean. I was young in the 90s ('96 babes represent) and because I was so young then, I don't know much about the time and it's not so far back that I'd become bored or something. So yeah. However, because of the fact that it was set in 1995 was such a big deal in the book (you'll see), I expected more. More, as in, little details to keep that 90s vibe. But at times I totally forgot it wasn't 2012. I would've loved for there to be something more that separated it from now, make it, I dunno, more like that time. But what do I know?!

Gosh, I really do not how to sound articulate, do I? The musical references though, was awesome, and that's what reminded me where I was. 

Anna and Bennett's relationship had to be my favourite part of the book. SEE, KIDS, INSTA-LOVE ISN'T ALL THAT! We got to see their feelings from the start, and see how they dealt with how those and I love them both so much. They did go through a lot together, and it definitely was not all rainbows, despite that being MY feelings towards them. Adorable is the biggest understatement. I loved how Bennett brought out her adventurous side, the one that usually stays hidden because traveling is just a dream for her. A big, big dream. Anna's never even left the state of Illinois, and Bennett takes her to places beyond her dreams, physically and metaphorically.

Yay for a best friend who is both present and supportive! Let's not even go into the amount of bitchy-slash-absent-slash-don't-even-know best friends in YA.

I also loved how it was narrated by Anna. I assumed it was narrated by Bennett, because, he's the, y'know, time-traveler and usually it's the weird one telling the story. Lol. That did not come out right. But reading from her POV was really, really great. The author made Anna's story feel so sad. Because with a concept like that, you know that it's not going to end with a happily ever after. But...in a way, it does. And it's beautiful. And sad. Beautifully sad.

TIME BETWEEN US is totally, utterly charming. There was a warm, wanderlust-y feel to it. Everything was perfectly balanced and the writing seemed really simple, but oh so pretty. I could easily tell how cleverly the story had been crafted. One of my favourite reads of the year.

BTW, ANNA WORKS IN A BOOKSTORE. BE MY BFF 4 LYF, ANNA.

i srsly apologise for the terrible review. i don't know where my head is at. and my brain does not understand the word edit anymore

I stood there and stared at it—this colorful expanse of paper, with its topographic mountain ranges and changeable shades of blue to depict the various depths of the ocean—and saw a map of the world, but knew it wasn’t mine. My world was much, much smaller.”

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home