Tuesday, September 11, 2012

REVIEW: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Title: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Pages: 370
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 11th September, 2012
Format: eGalley
Source: Publisher (for review, via NetGalley)


Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

 --Goodreads summary

I haven't had the chance to read any of Sarah Rees Brennan's work, so I was really happy to see UNSPOKEN on NetGalley (I think we've established the fact that NetGalley and I are bffs and I am always happy to see books on there). Just a few pages into the story, I was hooked.

I adored Kami! She was smart and such independant heroine! Any bit of dialogue featuring her was awesome. The supporting characters, including Ash, Jared, Angela (LOVE HER), Holly and Rusty (BAHAHAHAH) were so funny and likeable. And I loved that there wasn't a case of missing-parents syndrome in UNSPOKEN. Kami's parents, Claire and Jon were there and being cool and omg I love those two! And uh, not forgetting the creepy Lynburns.

There was so many points in the novel where I was like, "Brennan, you don't fool me, I KNOW what is going to happen," so many points where I was SO SURE the plot was going to get all cliched but I was proven wrong each and everytime and surprised with something much more better.

I was like

this is getting gooooooooood


I'll stop now because I don't want to give anything away.

Also, my copy being from NetGalley was just an eGalley, but from what I could see, the finished copy is going to be gorgeous! There's these really interesting quotes before each 'part' and swirls and stuff and srsly you're not just going to love the story.

This is not the best review I've ever written, but whatever, all you need to know is that Brennan blew me away with the most beautiful writing ever. I swear, I've only read one book and I'm already head over heels in love with her writing. It will make you LOL, and turn the pages so fast your hands will just be one huge papercut. UNSPOKEN is a very fascinating novel, with an almost, magical feel to it (oh the irony!). So. Who do I need to bribe for book two?!

p.s. SHAKESPEARE REFERENCES FOR THE WIN
p.p.s. if you REALLY want to know what this book is like, without as many words, go here (scrll down). you will not regret it.

“Down in the dark waters, there was gold gleaming. There was no air and the water was as cold as death, dragging him down like chains. There was nothing here but darkness and the unreachable gleam of gold lost down so deep.”

♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review. Now I want to read this book :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. You can tell how much you loved this. Kami was so, so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this one at the moment and can't really get into it at all. :( Weird because everyone else seems to love it!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home