Tuesday, August 14, 2012

REVIEW: Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik


Title: Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik
Pages: 309
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 2nd August 2011
Format: Kindle Edition
Source: Bought
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository



Will Elise’s love life be an epic win or an epic fail?
At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Case in point:
As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school—not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.
As the daughter of the new principal, Elise Benton isn’t exactly on everyone’s must-sit-next-to-at-lunch list.
When Elise’s beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince’s best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl on campus. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long.
 --Goodreads summary

*may contain minor spoilers* 

I had no idea EPIC FAIL was a modern retelling of PRIDE & PREJUDICE, but bought it after seeing Cicely's awesome review and although I haven't read PRIDE & PREJUDICE (shock horror), it is on my to-read-asap list so I thought that I might as well read this first to maybe get a feel for P&P. As to how good it is as a retelling, compared to the original book... I can't really say because I haven't read it and feel a little silly now, haha, but you can go and read Cic's review because she is a huge PRIDE & PREJUDICE fan!

EPIC FAIL was in my last five reads of 2011 and I was surprised at how different it was from my expectations. I think it was the relationship between the four sisters, Elise, Juliana, Layla and Katelyn and their parents, but I'm told that it's very similar to the one in P&P so I'll be looking out for that when I read it.

It had some really interesting plot lines, like how easily it is to be somebody’s friend and not really know them at all. I guess I could say I personally have some experience with that, but what happened with Webster still caught me off guard. All it takes is a few charming comments and a warm smile or two and then suddenly you don’t realise what you’ve gotten into, and Elise particularly didn’t know what she had gotten into at all. But I didn’t blame her. Because it could’ve happened to anybody. I’m just really glad she had Derek there to help her understand. I liked the relationship between Derek and Elise, and even though they hated each other for a little while and I hated him for a while, but I was happy for them both by the end.

I can’t really say much about the story without giving stuff away, and I just realised that the last paragraph I wrote probably doesn’t make any sense because it’s one of those books you have to experience for yourself to actually understand the story of.

All in all, I thought that EPIC FAIL was a really cute, fun read with some very valuable messages hidden amongst lovely writing. Definitely one of those delicious pick-me-up books that I'd recommend for a rainy day.

I should probably read PRIDE & PREJUDICE now. *runs off*

“I got lost in him, and it was the kind of lost that's exactly like being found.”

♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. haha, I haven't read any of Jane Austen's work . . . or the Bronte sisters . . . or really any of the classics. I don't know if that's a fail or not. I don't think so. :P

    also, your review is hilarious. I think I need to pick this one up. you know, just to really understand your review. ;P

    ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home