Tuesday, August 07, 2012

REVIEW: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Title: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini
Pages: 503
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Publication Date: 5th July, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)


Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

 --Goodreads summary

I've been looking forward to this book ever since I finished Starcrossed! Like, oh my gods, I totally loved that book and I was so happy when the lovely My Kinda Book team sent me a copy of Dreamless!

The story focuses more on Helen's role as Descender and her quest to save everybody from the Furies and their cycle of revenge. I thought that throughout the novel, she made a lot of progress and grew into a very strong heroine. My favourite thing about Dreamless was the Underworld and the mythology surrounding it. I think I said in my review of Starcrossed how I was really enjoying the Greek mythology trend in YA and the details in Dreamless were really fascinating. The descriptions of the Underworld were also really something! The place itself seemed like a dream, or well, a nightmare, and Helen's journeys into there intrigued me. Also, Morpheus? That dude is AMAZING but also super creepy, haha.

The tension in Dreamless...wow, Angelini, you totally brought it. Also, FRUSTRATION. And complications! Why can't Helen and Lucas just be together so we can all live happily ever after?! I was pretty sad that there wasn't as much Lucas in the book as there should've been. I mean, I know he wasn't heartbroken and stuff and Helen was heartbroken and stuff but couldn't they be heartbroken TOGETHER? YOU'RE NOT COUSINS GUYS, FIGURE IT OUT ALREADY. ARGH.

I loved how Claire and Matt, Helen's closest friends were give a bigger role in the story. I thought that Claire in Starcrossed was totally awesome, and I'm really happy that we got to see more of the two of them, especially because it showed that even though she's a demigod and everything, Helen didn't just ditch them. They worked together and that made me happy.

An extremely well-written sequel from Josephine Angelini that you absolutely have to get your hands on if you like Greek mythology or forbidden romance. I personally, would like to get my hands on the next book. *waits* *impatiently*

“Morpheus disappeared into the blending of stars and shimmering lights on the dark lawn, and without him Helen felt very alone. She faced the nightmare tree and balled her fists to steel herself, knowing that the sooner she got it over with, the better.”

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Hi Iffath!

    I first wanted to say hi and let you know I am your newest follower!

    That being said, it looks like we sort of have the same taste in books! I've been wanting to check out Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed series, but haven't had the chance since I have been so busy reading and reviewing other books! Your review definitely makes me want to set some time aside so I can start Starcrossed so I can get to Dreamless lol. And I actually like the UK cover. Sometimes I will go on the UK amazon site and buy books on there if I like the UK covers better than the American covers lol. I am crazy like that!

    Anyway, great review and I'm glad I found your blog and stopped by! Feel free to stop by mine. I review books and movies!

    Best Wishes!
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either Starcrossed or Dreamless yet, but at the mention of Greek mythology, I definitely have to dig my copy out from under the piles!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home