Monday, July 09, 2012

REVIEW: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Title: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
Pages: 432
Publisher: Razorbill UK
Publication Date: 12th June, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)


Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

 --Goodreads summary

*may contain minor spoilers*

The Golden Lily was better than Bloodlines in terms of action and mystery. YAY ACTION! This is why I love Richelle Mead! Whereas Bloodlines was a set-up for the new series and we got kinda of familiar with the surroundings and characters and stuff, The Golden Lily really gets into the plot, focusing on the Vampire Hunters mentioned in Bloodlines. 

So, Adrian! Remember how I used to hate him?! I NO HATE ADRIAN NO MORE! I don't love him as much as Dimitri, but I have to be honest, Adrian is pretty awesome. By the way, can I just say how happy Dimitri's active presence in the novel made me? 'Cause it did. I really liked reading more about Adrian and his life. There was this one chapter where he meets up with his father and it's a horrible meeting and it kinda made me understand why he acts like he does.

Sydney annoyed me at points. I felt like, just when she was starting to follow her heart and do what she thought was right, not what the Alchemists thought was right, she just went back to how she was at the start. In Bloodlines she seemed naive and scared because she'd had one set of beliefs drilled in to her, but in this, it just felt like she was being racist and blatantly ignorant. These people are *helping* you, take a chill pill dude. However, her cluelessness was quite cute. Especially when Trey sets her up with this guy, Brayden, who is like, the male version of her (if you take away the Alchemist bit). There was quite a few LOL moments going on there!

And zomg Angeline bahahahahahaha. That girl is one huge LOL.

I refuse to acknowledge that ending, because SERIOUSLY? THIS IS LIKE SHADOW KISS ALL OVER AGAIN. My poor, poor heart.

Effing Sydney.

Me:

ALL THE FEELS, PEOPLE. CAN SOMEBODY SEND ME THE INDIGO SPELL ALREADY?

“Day 24. Situation is growing worse. My captors continue to find new and horrific ways to torture me. When not working, Agent Scarlet spends her days examining fabric swatches for bridesmaid dresses and going on about how in love she is. This usually causes Agent Boring Borscht to regale us with stories of Russian weddings that are even more boring than his usual ones. My attempts at escape have been thwarted thus far. Also, I am out of cigarettes. Any assistance or tobacco products you can send will be greatly appreciated.
-Prisoner 24601” 


♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. Just IMAGINE what the ending for The Indigo Spell is going to be like. I think she may get us with book threes throughout her writing career, you know... (not that I've read anything of hers bar VA...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO NO NO. the ending is almost as bad as SHADOW KISS??? my poor heart can't take that! ohh dear. I'm rereading VA right now and guess what book I'm on? SHADOW KISS.

    O________O at least I know how the series ends!

    anyway, I'm glad you liked The Golden Lily and love Adrian now!! of course he isn't anything like Dimitri, but he has his own little charm. :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I'm so behind. I have yet to read Vampire Acadamy or Bloodlines, so these reviews are helpful. :0) christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of LIKE the way Sydney reacts, really! It's a normal response to the supernatural for a change!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home