Tuesday, July 17, 2012

REVIEW: From What I Remember by Stacy Kramer & Valerie Thomas

Title: From What I Remember by Stacy Kramer & Valerie Thomas
Pages: 462
Publisher: Disney*Hyperion
Publication Date: 15th May, 2012
Format: eGalley
Source: Publisher (for review, via NetGalley)


KYLIE: MEXICO WHAT? I should be putting the finishing touches on my valedictorian speech. Graduation is TODAY, and is this a wedding band on my finger.

MAX: It all started with Kylie's laptop and a truck full of stolen electronics. Okay, it was kind of hot, the way she broke us out like some chick in an action movie. But now we're stranded in Tijuana. With less than twenty-four hours before graduation. Awesome.

WILL: Saving Kylie Flores from herself is kind of a full-time occupation. Luckily, I, Will Bixby, was born for the job. And when I found out she was stuck in Mexico with dreamy Max Langston, sure, I agreed to bring their passports across the border -- but there's no reason to rush back home right away. This party is just getting started.

LILY: I just walked in on my boyfriend, Max Langston, canoodling with Kylie Flores, freak of the century. Still, I can't completely hold it against him. He NEEDS me. It's even clearer now. And I'm not giving him up without a fight.

 --Goodreads summary

*may contain minor spoilers*

So I read Tracey Neithercott's thoughts of this and I was like, boom (I actually just typed book there), must read. Then it was on NetGalley as a 'read now' title and I was like, BOOM (I DID IT AGAIN), KINDLE. I haven't yet watched The Hangover (I know, I KNOW), but if it's anything like this I am so there.

The opening scene was awesome. It's a scene from the last part of the book and it was totally not what I was expecting first, but I have to say, it was extremely gripping. I was like, OH MY GOSH KYLIE GURL HOW DID YOU GET *HERE*. The rest of the story was so awesome. It was so excting and fast-paced, I honestly don't remember feeling bored at all and struggled to take my eyes away from the words when I had to like, go do Life. There were some chapters that were total gems...like when Kyle and Max stumbled upon a mass wedding thingy. That was probably my favourite part in the whole book. 


I haven't read a book with four perspectives for a long time, but I love those and this was no exception. It didn't feel disjointed at any time, and in fact, the only bad things I can say about the four POVs is that I hated when something juicy was happening in one and then the perspective changed and I had to WAIT for ages to hear what happened next! Me = not a fan of waiting, but it was totally worth it. I think the story still would've worked if it was just Max and Kylie narrating, but I think hearing from Will and Lily was like, an added bonus. I though Will was HILARIOUS. And that's big, because half the time I don't even have a sense of humour. So YAY. I need a Will in my life. Sometimes I think really funny people like Will don't even exist in real life. *cries* Max was...not the horrible person I was expecting. He was actually very sweet (and the boy has good taste in music). Kylie had a really strong voice, and I loved her kinda impulsive, bright personality. Lily just generally made me laugh with her ridiculousness. But I did feel quite sympathetic for her when I looked at Kylie and Max's relationship through her eyes, despite shipping the two of them. All the characters had some kind of personal issue they were working on, and I liked that because it made them seem more realistic.


I know loads of people have said this before, but I can't help but comment on how MTV-reality show-like this is. And the cover totally reflects that (though I still can't work out who is who?!). I love MTV. Somebody should make this happen.


I don't want to say that From What I Remember was 'fun' because I feel like recently, that's the only adjective in my vocabulary when it comes to reviews. But it IS. Fun, I mean. SO MUCH FUN. 'kay, I'll stop now.


I think Kramer and Thomas did a really great job on this. The writing felt so animated and lively--I could actually picture myself in Tijuana, like, totally having the time of my life. Yeah, at times it was pretty cheesy (the ending) and cliched, (the ending), but I really enjoyed From What I Remember. Highly recommended! I think it would make an awesome read for the beach or even an adventure you could go on without taking a step out of your house.

"I realize we've been in the dark for a long time. Something about the purity of the light and the brash blue reminds me of Sunday mornings with my Dad."

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. I bought this book this week so I'm excited to see you enjoyed it. It looks like the perfect FUN summer read ;) Thanks for the fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE. I need this book in my life. It has been decided by your review. *marks it as wishlist*

    great review, Iffath! <3

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home