Monday, July 23, 2012

REVIEW: Devilish by Maureen Johnson


Title: Devilish by Maureen Johnson
Pages: 288
Publisher: HarperCollins UK
Publication Date: 7th June, 2012 (first published 7th September, 2006)
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)


Wickedly funny high school satire - what would you give to be popular? Ally and Jane may not be that popular but they're good friends...that is until they each get allocated a freshman, a 'little' to show the ropes to at school. Cracks begin to show as Ally changes into a whole different person, literally overnight. She's dressed better, making new friends, and ditching Jane more and more. But Ally's transformation has its price. And it's up to Jane to save her former BF from a ponytail-wearing, cupcake-nibbling devil in disguise!

 --Goodreads summary

Jane attends a religious prep school, and one day, after an unfortunate incident where she throws up all over a freshman student, Jane's best friend, Allison comes back to school acting really, really strange and totally unlike her usual, geeky self. It's like Allison has transformed into another person, with buckets full of confidence and a whole new trendy wardrobe. And then Jane finds out that Allison has sold her soul to the devil. Ooooooh.

I liked Jane's character, I thought she was smart, loyal and generally a very vivid person. I thought it was great how she was going through all of this to save her best friend. It was really lovely, but crazy if you ask me. Risking everything for your best friend's soul?! RUBBISH. Haha. And Lanalee! OMG, she was awesome. And terribly evil.

I loved Johnson's writing in this! The writing style was very witty and flowing very nicely. There were parts where she didn't hold back and everything in the story was so crazy. You'd think it wouldn't work, and it shouldn't work, but it does. It's quite different from the other Maureen Johnson books I've read, but good different.

Around the halfway mark, I started to feel a little like I was losing interest in the story. I have a feeling that if I was younger by maybe a few years, I would've enjoyed this a lot more, it's just the timing and stuff. Also, I think I was just waiting for some proper demonic action to happen, and it did, but it was pretty close to the end. I thought Devilish was a great mix of light-hearted, clever fun and quirkiness.

Also, can I just say that I'm not a huge fan of the new UK cover? I think it'll appeal to the younger crowd (11-13) and that's probably what they were going for, but I think the US cover is so much more cuter and looks more innocent to contrast with the the fact that it's called Devilish and the story being not-so innocent.

“In my mind, I said the best things to Elton. I wrote countless excellent notes that I never sent. I came up with clever and highly detailed imaginary situations in which we were thrown together and it somehow made him realize that life without me was a hollow shell. But he didn't look like a hollow shell.”

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. I need to read a Maureen Johnson book right about... NOW. Jane sounds so fun! Other than the timing issues, this sounds like such a grat book.<3

    I understand what you're saying about the cover, too. It's a little young. I just googled the US cover, and it's MUCH nicer.

    Thanks for another amazing review, Iffath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed about the cover-I first thought it'd be something for the 8-12 market. It does look like a cute quick read though. Something nice for summer. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home