Monday, June 25, 2012

REVIEW: Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris

Title: Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris
Pages: 445
Publisher: HarperCollins UK
Publication Date: 7th June, 2012
Format: Paperback, ARC
Source: Publisher (for review)


STOP THE COUNTDOWN. SAVE THE WORLD…

Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck.

And killed.

Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…

Meanwhile, Janelle’s father, a special agent for the FBI, starts working on a case that seems strangely connected to Ben. Digging in his files, Janelle finds a mysterious device – one that seems to be counting down to something that will happen in 23 days and 10 hours time.

That something? It might just be the end of the world. And if Janelle wants to stop it, she’s going to need to uncover Ben’s secrets – and keep from falling in love with him in the process…

 --Goodreads summary

I haven't read many YA science-fiction novels, so when I heard about this, I had to read it. Does that synopsis not make you feel excited?!

THIS BOOK. I started Unravelling last Wednesday night, I think? I came back home after school and then had to go back like, two hours later for the open evening, and I was SO tired, but I knew that I was behind on reading review books so I started it. I actually ended up finishing it that same night and all I could think about is why I had been putting it off for so long! I think I was scared that it would be too heavy and at the time, I was in a really fluffy, Princess-Diaries mood, which is why I reread all of those books. Hehe. But no, it wasn't really anything to be scared of. Well, *actually* the story itself maybe was. Maybe some of it scared the hell out of me. I SAID MAYBE.

It reminded me a lot of Ultraviolet (RJ Anderson). I was reading Ultraviolet last summer on holiday, and it was really amazing. And then it got like, super crazy. Like ZOMG MEGA HUGE TWIST OF ALL TWISTS. The same thing happened with Unravelling. Surprisingly, the two twists are quite similar. Also, really creepy. I think I liked the one in Unravelling more though. It seemed almost...realistic. Well, as realistic as something like that could ever be. I thought it was pretty great actually. Also, REALLY CREEPY.

Me reading some parts of Unravelling:

Me: "But...what if it's REAL? WHAT IF THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING RIGHT NOW"
Somebody else: "GUYS HELP I THINK SHE FAINTED"
The story is basically about Janelle, who gets hit by a car and dies and comes back to life (but not in like, a paranormal-undead kind of thing) and she's trying to figure out why she's alive and then there's all these super-weird radiation deaths happening with things MELTING and then while this is happening she finds this countdown thing that's just there, COUNTING DOWN ALL THE TIME and nobody knows what it's counting down to and tada, ADVENTURE-MYSTERY-SUSPENSE. And there's all these side-plots like the stuff with Ben and her FBI agent dad and the whole thing is just so riveting.

I found the physics stuff pretty interesting, which shocked me because I HATE physics. I also want to be an astronaut, so yeah. Anyway, the characters were also awesome. I LOVED Janelle. Her character just totally blew me away and I need her to be my best friend 4 lyf. She was snarky and kickass, and totally on top of her game. AND SHE HAS A GREAT GATSBY T-SHIRT THAT SHE "FUCKING LOVES". I loved Janelle's best friend, Alex, too, he was lovely. And BROODY BEN. Ben and Janelle together was just so AWESOME. That scene in the English class? Love. LOVE, YOU GUYS. High-five to Elizabeth Norris for not making Janelle-Ben-Alex into a love triangle.

I cannot believe I didn't read it sooner! And although I thought the novel was fantastic as a standalone, it appears there will be a another book (and more?) and I won't lie, I am really looking forward to it. Unravelling is the best sci-fi I've read (probably like, the only one but whatevs) and it will not disappoint anybody reading! The story is unpredictable, intense and well-written, an outstanding debut novel from Norris.

"I throw on faded black jeans and a white Circa Survive t-shirt because they're the first things I grab. The shirt is from a concert two summers ago I didn't even go to, because the book I was reading turned out to be crack. And well, I chose the book over the concert, because I'm like that. Alex brought me back the shirt, because, well, he's like that."

♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. haha, I love physics! In fact, one of my friends is home for the summer and I'm so excited because he and I can talk about science for hours on end. It is awesome.

    Also, I bought this one this week and now all I want to do is read it thanks to your review. It sounds so GOOD. next month I'll read it. mostly because it's on my tbr list ha ha.

    great review! I'm so glad you think it's amazing! :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home