Tuesday, May 01, 2012

REVIEW: Insurgent by Veronica Roth



Title: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Pages: 525
Publisher: HarperCollins UK
Publication Date: 1st May, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher (for review)

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so. 

 --Goodreads summary

*May contain minor spoilers*

I've been waiting for this book ever since I finished reading Divergent last year, and I am so, SO thankful to the lovely Rosi at HarperCollins UK for providing me with a finished copy to read before its release! I am quite frankly struggling to make sense of my thoughts after finishing! Obvs my most anticipated sequel of the year, and it TOTALLY brought it. You think you've figured out something majorly important, but you haven't at all because the truth is actually WAY more twisted. A situation could be one thing one second, and then be completely different the next. You'll be there like:

OVER AND OVER!!!
Insurgent picks up right where Divergent left off (Tris, Four, Caleb, Marcus and Peter having escaped from the attacks and are now on their way to Amity) and we just get thrown into this action-packed world of utter madness. I can't say that it isn't emotional. *wipes tear*. I LOVED that we got more insight into the other factions. In Divergent, we see learn stuff about Abnegation because that's Tris's original faction, and then she transfers to Dauntless and we get to see what it's like for those kick-ass people there, but the other factions who we don't no much about. But yay, we get to see what goes on in Candor (truth serums OMG) and Amity (no leader? WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS?) and also Erudite and why they are evil and want to kill people. Lol. And the factionless! Some *very* interesting things going on there...

I thought I loved Tris in Divergent, but she was just wow in Insurgent. This girl! Ugh, just major girl crush. Her selflessness AND bravery in the novel was breathtaking. A born survivor, that one is. And people say that girls in YA are weak. Ahhhhhhhhh at Tris and Four! SO. MUCH. ANGST. And swooning. There is *always* swooning. I would've liked to see the two of them together a little bit more, seeing as most of the time they were together they were crazy-annoyed at each other, but I won't push it because I thought the direction that Roth took in their relationship was super awesome. It was like, powerful and meaningful to the point where I had to question if this was actually real or not. It MORE than seemed like it was. Other characters like Uriah (<3), Christina and Lynn were pretty badass, too.

Also: I noticed that there wasn't really any recapping of Divergent, and it's likely that you'll forget who various people are. I'd suggest rereading Divergent beforehand, like I did, then you're good to go.

THAT ENDING THO. No idea what to say. Sorry. Read the book. Pull the same face as me. Cry/scream to your heart's content. Veronica Roth is EVIL! And such a graceful writer. The whole book was way more amazing than I could possibly have imagined it to be. May possibly be one of my favourite sequels in the history of EVER. Even right before I started reading I was a bit nervous because SURELY it couldn't top Divergent, BUT, I think it did. The tension in this book couldn't fit on all the scales in the world, guys. Exhilarating and mind-blowing and intense and addictive, I think that you NEED this book in your life.

p.s. yeah, I don't call this a review either. bahahahaha ;)

"The collide in an embrace that looks almost painful to me, slapping each other's backs and laughing with their fists clasped between them."




This post is part of the Team #CANDORUK campaign for #INSURGENTUK. Click on the picture above for more details.

♥Iffath

11 comments:

  1. Yesssss I love this review! There is SO much going on in Insurgent and I looooved getting to hear more about the other factions. Candor are definitely more bad ass then I thought. And I totally agree about Uriah and Lynn, loved them! I just want to read it AGAIN. #CandorUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I KNOW! I just might have to read it again and again and then maybe that cliffhanger will really sink in?! Go #CANDORUK! :P

      Delete
  2. Iffath! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT change your review writing style! Reading this review made me smile so much! And to pretty much everything you said, I was thinking "I know, right? Oh, I know, right? OMG, I KNOW, RIGHT?!" Awesomeness! :D

    This book is fantastic and I love it, and with each post I read about it I want to pick it up again! SO GOOD! I want me some more Tris & Four and craaaaazy society stuff! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahahaha, Jo, you are too awesome! Glad you liked my review even it is totally weird and I sound quite deranged! I'm am so mega-excited for the next book, I might BURST. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

      Delete
  3. I think any author would be so happy to read a review like yours, Iffath. It is so effervescent. If Little M sees it, I'm sure she'd try to copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review!! I think it's one of my favourite sequels ever too, I really really enjoyed it!! I loved hearing about the other factions (and the factionless) a lot too. I loved Tris and Four's relationship; in such a stressful situation they were bound to be at each other's throats a bit, so I think that was really realistic

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything! Plus I really liked the way Tris and Four's relationship was handled, because I was worried that they'd be all over each other and I'd want to puke. But they weren't, and I think it was really important for Tris to do everything she did regardless of whether Four approved or not. I love you reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was DEFINITELY more emotional and I was sobbing at one point! I loved learning about other factions (including the factionless) and although I saw the ending coming, I still really enjoyed it! An outstanding sequel and OMG how are we going to wait for book three?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh I loved this review and I felt the same! Definitely one of my favourite sequels ever too and THAT ENDING! I feel like we need to have a secret blogger meeting for all of us to discuss THAT ENDING! So that we don't spoil the rest of the population who only just got their copies. But yeah wow of a book and wow of a review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulose review your energy and enthusiasm just bounces off of the screen!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab review Iffath! I felt exactly the same as I was reading it :o) Can I just say I LOVE that Sully pic - I think I did that a lot as I read the book lmao

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home