Monday, April 09, 2012

REVIEW: The Intern by Dillon Khan


Title: The Intern by Dillon Khan
Pages: 352
Publisher: Penguin Paperbacks (imprint of Penguin)
Publication Date: 5th April, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Puffin (for review)


When Jay Merchant lands an internship for the best job in music television, he is given a backstage pass to the biggest gig of his life. The velvet rope to the biggest VIP parties and hottest celebrities has been lifted and now he's got to capture it on camera. But with only six months to turn his intern dream into a real job, does he have what it takes? It's time to face the music...

 --Goodreads summary

I looooove music, and I've always been a little bit curious about jobs in the music industry so when I was emailed about The Intern, I *had* to request a copy for review!

The novel is set in 2000, and Jay is interning at the London offices of The Beat, one of the coolest music channels around, for six months. Jay's hoping that by the end of those six months, they'll love him enough to give him a full time position at The Beat. His time spent there is a hurricane of exclusive music videos, parties with celebrities and tight deadlines and gradually, his lifer outside work starts to unravel.

My favourite thing about The Intern was how realistic it was. I loved that it wasn't sugar-coated and we see how hard Jay has to work to keep his bosses happy. I'm not going to lie, I've always thought that working at a music channel would be really awesome and chilled, but it's much crazier than I could possibly imagine. It requires dedication and determination and fortunately, Jay had both of those things. Seeing how he had to manage both his work life and social life was interesting. Also, I felt that Jay's character really grew throughout the story, as his amount of experience in the music industry increased.


I found The Intern very insightful and interesting, but unfortunately, I think it lacked that extra-special spark needed to hook me in. On various occasions I found my thoughts wandering. It wasn't that I didn't find it interesting exactly, but I just didn't feel like my attention was grabbed enough, if you get what I'm trying to say. I would recommend this, especially to music fans like myself, and people aspiring to go into the music business! A very fun and fast-paced read.

(Also: what about Angela! I really liked her! I honestly thought she would appear again by the end of the story, and her and Jay would fall in love or something like. But they didn't, and that made me sad :( )

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home