Monday, April 30, 2012

REVIEW: Divergent by Veronica Roth



HAVING A LITTLE FREAKOUT BECAUSE INSURGENT IS OFFICIALLY RELEASED TOMORROW AND I AM SO, SO EXCITED FOR PEOPLE TO READ IT! In the meantine, have my Divergent review, from like, trillions of year ago... (you can see the original review ~*here~*)

Title: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Pages: 497
Publisher: Harpercollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 3rd May 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher

One choice can transform you. Pass initiation. Do not fail…
In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior’s world, society is divided into five factions – Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a “perfect society.” At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives.

On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family’s group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy, but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly “perfect society.” To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.

 --Goodreads summary

I was so excited for Divergent that I read the 100 pages of it that HarperTeen put online as soon as it went up because I was so damn EXCITED. Before I started reading I was a *little* bit reluctant because there was such much hyper surrounding this book it's unbelievable, but within the first few pages, Roth has had me grabbed hook, line and sinker. It was probably the fastest I've EVER read 100 pages. And then I finished and I realised that it had finished and I thought "WHAT? THIS ISN'T RIGHT. WHERE IS THE REST? I NEED THE REST Y'ALL." I think to say that I screamed when a copy of the full book came in the post is an understatement.

How to describe the next 397 pages? SO. FREAKIN'. AWESOME.

And do I even have to MENTION that I am a Four-fan-girl? First I wasn't too sure about him..but then.. well, maybe you should ask Cicely.. she will very kindly explain to you OH HOW HARD it is to resist his awesomeness. In fact, in her eyes, it's probably impossible.

What I loved most about Divergent was the way it made us readers able to relate to the characters. All the strengths and weaknesses of the characters that we see? It's all a test. The question that lies beneath the surface of the novel: Which faction should I join? It really makes you think about the challenges you face in life, and how every little choice you have to make defines you. Personally, I'd probably be . Would love to hear what you guys think you'd be - let me know in the comments section!

Another thing I LOVED was that the story was sugar-coated in any way. I know there's a lot of people who think YA is too dark (#YAsaves anyone?) and there *are* some pretty violent scenes in Divergent, but they're raw and engaging and if anything, they just made me want to keep reading until I got the the end.

Veronica Roth has created the most incredible dystopian world, one of the most well-written, captivating ones I've ever read about. There's adventure, action, romance and the most amazingly complex characters, amongst about a million other things that you really need to read the book to actually understand. Judging by the last few pages, Divergent is just the start of something very, very exciting. I cannot WAIT to see what lies waiting for us in book two!

"We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."



This post is part of the Team #CANDORUK campaign for #INSURGENTUK. Click on the picture above for more details.

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Argh, I want to read this so bad and now your review has me ven more desperate. I haven't actually read one bad review for it, asdfghjkl. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review Iffath, thanks for re-posting it :o) Go Candor UK!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home