Tuesday, February 14, 2012

REVIEW: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Title: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Pages: 272
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers (Imprint of Random House)
Publication Date: 14th February 2012
Format: eGalley
Source: Netgalley


Summary (Goodreads):
"Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.
Graffiti Moon is about a group of Aussie teens fresh out of high school. Each one is an artist in their own way and they're all on some sort of 'life mission'. There's Ed, who has dropped out of school because of his dyslexia, and the only one person he thought could help him has now sadly passed away. He's finding it hard to find a job, has broken up with his girlfriend, and the girl he thought he liked broke his nose. There's Lucy who is making it her top priority to find Shadow, a graffiti artist whose art she has fallen in love with. Lucy doesn't know that Shadow is in fact, Ed, and um, breaks his nose after a rather unfortunate date. And then there's Shadow's master-in-crime, Poet, also known as Leo, whose utterly magic words can be found on walls all over the city.



You might’ve seen me mention Graffiti Moon on (I think) all of my end-of-year lists at err, the end of last year. I couldn’t put the review up around that time because the release date in the US wasn’t for a while, but I’m so glad to be able to put it up now.
I haven’t had the pleasure of reading A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley, so when I noticed that Graffiti Moon had been put up on Netgalley, I requested it immediately, hoping to get a flavour of this supposedly awesome author’s writing and see what everybody was so caught up over. Now I want to hug whoever’s idea it was to put Graffiti Moon on Netgalley because they are so totally at the front in my Book of Awesome People!

In a word Graffiti Moon is indescribable. You could say that it’s rare for a book blogger to be speechless about a book. We’re practically everywhere, right, and most often than not, we have a thought - sometimes a hundred - about a book. Hell, you could say that it’s rare for a reader to be speechless about a book. But I am. Speechless, I mean. Well, I was after turning the last page of this. It's books like Graffiti Moon and writers like Cath Crowley that make me so thankful that I’m able to read. Her writing is so lyrical it made me want to sit there and sigh my way through the rest of my life. Crowley makes it so simple to imagine the beauty inside your head, painting words like those Ed and Leo's so vividly you'll question anything and everything. The kind of words I wish would come from MY head. A girl can dream.



“I kept dreaming her and me were tangled like that. Kept dreaming of this spot she had on her neck, this tiny country. I wanted to visit, to paint a picture of what I found there, a wall with a road map of her skin.” 




The whole premise of the book mesmerized me--it sounded so different to anything I'd read before, and I loved the fact that it was an all-night adventure, the events of the book all happening within the space of one day. Reminded me a bit of Paper Towns by John Green, which I loved, and it had a similar charm to Paper Towns too. The story is narrated by Ed, Lucy and Leo, and I loved the parts where Ed and Lucy's parts overlapped so we'd see something happening from both perspectives. 

Ed and Lucy's we-hate-each-other relationship was very entertaining to watch and that little doubt they had about their feelings for each other not only made me smirk, but swoon at the thought of the pair together. Watching them banter and see them learn more about each other's real identities made my heart flutter, and I swear if you took apart my head while I was reading Graffiti Moon, all you'd find is rainbows and unicorns and sparkles because that is what this book did to me. Made me into the soppy girl I am at heart SA-WOON. Lucy was fiesty and awesome and I totally have a girl crush one her. And Ed <3 AND LEO. He was just luv-er-ly. Biggest crush on THAT ONE. I loved the rest of the supporting cast too, Jazz and Daisy especially. They were all quirky, and managed to stand out with their own voice. Teehee at the amazingly giggly moments of Lucy and Jazz (Cubicle of Truth, anyone?).

Also.... you may or may not know, but I love poetry; writing it and reading it... and the poetry in Graffiti Moon? Dreamy. Man, I haven't seen poetry so enchanting since The Sky is Everywhere two years ago. Ahh, I just want it all to be on my bedroom walls! AHHH! AND THE ART. The art was breath-takingly gorgeous, from the blowing of glass "the colour of dusk and night an love" to painting sleeping yellow birds.   From what I read. (can somebody please make it real? PLEASE?). 



I have fallen head over heels in love with Cath Crowley and her beautiful, beautiful words. The fire in Graffiti Moon will find its way inside you and get under your skin until you read it. (Pun intended. You have to read tHE BOOK). The perfect romantic book to curl up with on this here Valentines Day. Mega-huge-ginormous thank you to Random House and Netgalley for providing me with an eGalley of Graffiti Moon. 

♥Iffath

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful review. I loved this book so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah another awesome review, I'm REALLY going to have to buy this one now aren't I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're *definitely* going to have to but this one, Jess!!

      Delete
  3. I'm seeing reviews of this everywhere. Thanks for the great review, I think I might like to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have this book! Now! It seems that everyone can only really say great things about it, and I just love the idea of it and your review, Iffath. Your review has just reminded me of how much I needed this book. Yup. Great review! (Honestly, even that quote you posted. I just have feelings about a book I haven't even read yet!) ;p

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home