Wednesday, February 01, 2012

REVIEW: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally


Title: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Pages: 290
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: 1st December 2011
Format: Kindle Edition
Source: Bought


Summary (Goodreads):
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.


But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

Trust me, the fact that I was going to read this even surprised *me*. That sentence sounds mean and like I'm too good for the book or something… but it’s not supposed to. Lol. It’s not like I have something against the author because that’s silly (I don’t even know her), but because Catching Jordan is about... football! And me + football = tres unhappy couple. In fact, me + [insert any most sports] = unhappy couple. But then I read this on a book blogger recommendation… and I thought it was amazing. Seriously. The football didn’t even bother me. Actually, I may have even enjoyed it! Well, okay, I enjoyed everything I *could* enjoy whilst knowing nothing about the sport. Hehe. (American football is pretty different to English football, yes? Or am I just insanely stupid…?) SEE WHAT SPORT DOES TO ME? *faints* It was really easy to get caught up in the story and what was going on, so points to the author for managing to hook me in and keep me there.
I loved Jordan. She was *really* awesome. Like, kickass awesome. I don’t know about you guys, but usually when I describe somebody as kickass, said somebody is usually the snarky, not-to-be-messed-with-under-any-circumstances hero/heroine of a paranormal novel. Or a dystopian novel. Said somebody doesn’t usually live in… the real world. And play football. Jordan takes kickass to another level and gives it a freakin’ new MEANING. Why? Because Jordan plays football, and she’s the only girl on her team and she sure plays better than all the guys on her team and they tease her, and others tease her and act horrible (they’re obvs just jealous of her) but she’s strong and she doesn’t take any crap.
The guys were also really cool; Henry, JJ, Carter etc. I loved how they respected Jordan and looked out for her, especially when Ty came on the scene. They were so protective and sweet, like they were her older brothers or something and it was just awesome. And everything they did just made me giggle, they were such boys and always seemed like they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing.

Miranda Kenneally’s writing is just fabulous – funny and realistic and fresh. I’m really looking forward to whatever she’s working on next! And I highly recommend Catching Jordan, even to people like me who think sports are ew and just no: PLEASE READ THIS BOOK. For me. Truly outstanding debut and a gem amongst contemporary YA. xoxoxoxoxo

p.s. I never did like Ty. He was so... I don't know, but I didn't warm to him.

♥Iffath

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this, it does sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - very honest. Thank you for sharing it. I really look forward to reading this one soon! :)

    I hope you drop by my blog,
    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looking forward to this one, only heard good things! Plus Jordan sounds like a kick ass heroine just how I like em! Thanks for an awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about this book and it's brilliant to read your review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your review very useful. I'll head to the bookstore and try to find this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The football aspect of this book has been putting me off for ages, but seeing that you enjoyed it regardless, Iffath, has just convinced me. Next time I have money, this book shall be MINE! *evil laughter* *lightening flashes* *thunderclaps*
    Wait. Buying books isn't evil is it? Darn...
    Sorry. I'm going now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home