Saturday, January 21, 2012

REVIEW: Fury by Elizabeth Miles


Title: Fury by Elizabeth Miles
Pages: 384
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Books
Publication Date: 1st January 2011
Format: Hardback
Source: Bookbabblers (for review)


Summary (Goodreads):
In book one of the Fury trilogy, Em Winters and Chase Singer discover that a little guilt isn't the only consequence of doing wrong. After Em hooks up with her best friend's boyfriend and Chase's secret harassment of a social outcast spirals out of control, three mysterious Furies-paranormal creatures that often assume the form of beautiful women-come to town to make sure that Em and Chase get what they deserve. Not everyone will survive-and those who do will discover there are worse punishments than death. But when Em befriends outcast Drea and learns more about who and what the Furies really are, she becomes resolved above all to take them down and stop their plans. Little does Em know that, by confronting the Furies, she could become inextricably bound to them for life.

Random reviews I wrote ages ago that for some reason never got posted number 4! Another review I wrote for Bookbabblers and forgot to post. I should do more posting. yeah.



The students living in Ascension, Maine are currently in winter break. Emily can finally spend time with the boy she really likes and Chase has met a pretty girl he thinks may really like him. BUT. All is not well in paradise because Emily's crush also happens to be her best friend Gabby's boyfriend, Zach. And Chase? Well, his girl may well be hiding something from him, something very big. It looks like both will have to learn that what goes around, comes around. The hard way.


The story begins with us reading from Em's perspective and alternates between her and Chase pretty smoothly, so that we never get confused which doesn't sound like anything special, but trust me, it is. I wasn't sure what to expect in each chapter and was biting my nails, literally waiting for something to go horrible, horribly wrong.

I can't really say I could relate to Chase, but the novel was written so well that I could almost (almost) step into his shoes and feel what he felt. I so wanted it so that things would turn out good for him, but we can't all have what we want, right? Em was different. I thought she was quite selfish, making excuses for what she was doing with Zach and thinking that they'd tell Gabby and it'd all be OK, and I didn't really like her as a character, but both her and Chase progressed as the story went on and Em was a lot more likable than what she started off with, having learnt from her mistakes. And although sorry ISN'T enough, I really felt for her when things got out of control at the end. Oh, and some of the secondary characters were really great,; JD, Zach and Gabby. They each played an important role in the telling of the story and I thought that they were portrayed with a high amount of skill.

The contemporary and paranormal genres have been combined together to create Fury, and can I just say how well they worked together? Miles' writing was clever and unsettling, leaving me at the edge of my seat. There were some parts of the story that I didn't agree with, but I can't deny the fact that Fury was an addictive read. I finished it in one sitting and wanted more more more! The storyline is unique and the plot is intricate. I don't think there was once a moment where it failed to deliver what I expected, no, what I wanted.

I LOVED the greek-mythology aspect of the story! I've read about Furies only once before in Starcrossed (by Josephine Angelini) and it sparked a great interest! Imagine if something like that really happened..? If the furies went around, getting their revenge on people for the bad things they'd done to others? Makes you think twice, doesn't it!

Chillingly dark, Fury will suck you into a world full of drama, intrigue and the I'm sure the furies will be happy to show you exactly how they're feeling about Emily and Chase's choices...

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home