Friday, January 20, 2012

REVIEW: Brother/Sister by Sean Olin


Title: Brother/Sister by Sean Olin
Pages: 256
Publisher: Razorbill UK
Publication Date: 1st September, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Razorbill UK (for review)


Summary (Goodreads):
WILL
How many times do I have to say it? Yes, I see the picture. It's a body, obviously. It's a dead body.

ASHELEY
You have to understand, I love my brother. I'm scared of him too, but . . . regardless of what he has or hasn't done, I feel for him, you know.

WILL
I don't care what happens to me, really, I don't. But Asheley . . . she had nothing to do with any of this.

ASHELEY
It's not like it sounds. He had a good heart. He trusted me. And I always did the best I could to help him.

WILL
It's not her fault. None of it. Okay then. The guy in the photo. I killed him . . . but I had to. I had no choice. Why? That's complicated. That'll take a while.
Random reviews I wrote ages ago that for some reason never got posted number 3! This should have been posted while I was on holiday during summer 2011. I have no idea what happened!

~

I read Killing Britney by Sean Olin a few years ago. It was for sale in my local library for 10p, so I *had* to buy it. I can't remember my exact thoughts on it because it was a really long time ago, but I did enjoy it (and I will try and reread it so I can review on the blog soon). I was book-hunting on Goodreads and came across a Brother/Sister by somebody called Sean Olin. The synopsis doesn't give much about the book away and it got me feeling really intrigued and excited to read the book and I was SO sure that I recognized that name! So I did what any other person would do, and Googled him... not long after, I got an email asking if I would like to review it. Mind instantly went "Yes please!"

It's summer, and siblings Ashley and Will are left to look after themselves. Their mother has just been taken to a rehabilitation centre after a violent incident with involving alcohol and their father left while they were quite young. Will's been bullied for a very long time, but he tries to keep his head up for Ashley. To protect her and keep her safe and because it's his job to do that, and because he believes that nobody else can do that for her. But things start to get out of control when all Will can think about is protecting Ashley.. and Ashley isn't sure how to handle the situation, but she plays along, for Will's sake. But things don't seem to be getting better...

I loved the way the book was written - the story alternates while Ashley and Will are being questioned by the police. It was really interesting to see both sides of the story, especially when it's about something such as incest. Also, I thought that the voices of both Ashley and Will were very distinctive, especially Will's. He came across as such a confused boy who didn't know what to do with the vivid feelings he was having for his sister.

Brother/Sister is disturbing, in all possible meanings of the word. At first, it didn't seem that way, but as the book progressed it got darker...and I couldn't put it down. I don't want to give away the twist near the end, but I thought it was very well played-out. Brother/Sister is quite a heavy read and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you think this is the kind of book you'd be interested in, a thriller that messes with your thoughts quite a bit, I think it's worth picking up!

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home