Friday, December 02, 2011

REVIEW: There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones

Title: There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
Pages: 320
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: October 4th, 2011
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley


Summary (Goodreads):
In a small cottage house in rural Ireland, Finley discovers she can no longer outrun the past.
When Finley travels to Ireland as a foreign exchange student, she hopes to create a new identity and get some answers from the God who took her brother away and seems to have left her high and dry. But from the moment she boards the plane and sits by Beckett Rush, teen star of the hottest vampire flicks, nothing goes according to Finley's plan.
When she gets too close to Beckett, a classmate goes on a mission to make sure Finley packs her bags, departs Ireland-and leaves Beckett alone. Finley feels the pressure all around. As things start to fall apart, she begins to rely on a not-so-healthy method of taking control of her life.
Finley tries to balance it all-disasters on the set of Beckett's new movie, the demands of school, and her growing romance with one actor who is not what he seems. Yet Finley is also not who she portrays to Beckett and her friends.For the first time in her life, Finley must get honest with herself to get right with God.


So, I started reading There You'll Find Me after finishing The Carrier of the Mark. Both books are set in Ireland  but that's where the similarities end because, apart from both being enjoyable reads, they couldn't be more different!

I don't usually request books on NetGalley when I see that they've been categorized as 'Religion & Spirituality' as well as 'Teens & Young Adult', I actually tend to stay away. I'm not sure why.. I think it's because I've read a few in the past and those were all really preachy and boring and I hate when that happens. So I don't really know why I requested There You'll Find Me. But what I do know is that it wasn't preachy or boring!

Following the recent death of her brother, Finley Sinclair is embarking on a journey to follow in his steps. With nothing but the travel journal her brother wrote during his visit to Ireland to guide her, Finley sets off. Nothing happens appears to go how she wanted it to, but Finley uncovers things about herself she never even knew about and is well on her way to finding God in her time of need.

We never really learnt much about Finley's life before she came to Ireland. It was hinted at, in some places, but I would've liked to know more about her past. I liked Beckett's character. He was very refreshing. We can all admit to judging all of those big Hollywood actors/actresses or celebrities in general after I reading something about them in the paper, in a magazine, or online, but most of the time none of it's true. I know that and most likely, you will know that too. That most of the time how people are portrayed in the media is far from the truth, but sometimes I think we all forget and need to be reminded of that little fact. Beckett showed me that.

The subtle romance between Finley and Beckett was very well-written - it was perfectly-paced and believable. There was no insta-love (quite the opposite actually, when I think about the moment the two met!) and I loved the fact that the two helped each other so much. 

The plotline regarding Mrs Sweeney was lovely too. It reminded me of one similar to Adios, Nirvana by Corad Wesseltoeft, a book that I read over the summer and thought was amazing.

There You'll Find Me is full of bitterness, and grief, but there's also humour, love and happiness hiding away in there, you just have to look in the right places. A touching novel with some fantastic messages weaved in amongst the mouth-watering descriptions of Ireland. Such a cute cover too!

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home