Tuesday, December 20, 2011

REVIEW: After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steve Wedel

Title: After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steve Wedel
Pages: 305
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: 5th October, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Bloomsbury (for review)


Summary (Goodreads):

Aimee and Alan have unusual pasts and secrets they prefer to keep hidden. Aimee's deceased mother struggled with mental illness and hallucinations, and Aimee thinks it could be hereditary. After all, she sees a shadowy river man where there isn't one. And then there was that time she and her best friend Courtney tried to conjure a spirit with a Ouija board ...Alan is Courtney's cousin. His family moved to Maine when Courtney's father went missing. It's not just Alan's dark good looks that make him attractive. He is also totally in touch with a kind of spiritual mysticism from his Native American heritage. And it's not long before Aimee has broken up with her boyfriend ...But it's not Aimee or Alan who is truly haunted - it's Courtney. In a desperate plea to find her father, Courtney invites a demonic presence into her life. Together, Aimee and Alan must exorcise the ghost, before it devours Courtney - and everything around her.


I hadn't heard much about After Obsession, but I knew it was something to get excited about because I'm a really big fan of Carrie Jone's Need series. And the pretty cover and spooky synopsis were just the icing on the cake!

I thought that Jones and Wedel did a fantastic job on the book as a whole, but particularly our two protagonists and the supernatural element of the story. Aimee was a strong character, very likable, but it was Alan that I liked the most. His loyalty to his family was touching, and I loved that he'd do practically anything to protect them (hello, confronting the demon inside your cousin? Not really anybody's idea of fun). His Navajo/Native American background was fascinating, refreshing in the world of YA because you (well, I) don't see diversity very often. Maybe it's just the type of books I read? And can I just say how awesome his little 'medicine' bag was? LOL. There is a demon in their midst and I don't know about you guys, but I for one thought that aspect was portrayed with skillz.

Although I loved both Aimee and Alan individually, I wasn't completely sure about their relationship together - at times it fell a little bit flat for me, like they had no chemistry between them and it didn't seem much like they could be anything more than just friends. I would've liked to see that developed more.


There was also some lack of development in subplots that left me a little confused, and there was parts that I felt were unfinished. For example, the mystery with Courtney's father. It wasn't clear if he actually drowned. I remember the family fearing the worst, but it don't think what actually happened was explained. I would have liked it to be though, because the whole reason there is demonic behaviour in their town is because of Courtney and how much she wanted her father back.

This idea of The 'River Man' was intriguing, exciting and also quite scary. I don't think I'll be rushing to get near any flowing water anytime soon! I guessed most of what would happen in the book quite early, but it was very well written.

Overall, I thought After Obsession was an interesting read and a great addition to the paranormal genre. I wasn't expecting the darkness of the story, but I will say that it made it that much more creepy, and I loved that. I do hope Jones & Wedel will write more books like this together, fast-paced and spooky!

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks for the honesty ;) I still haven't gotten round to reading this but I might do it over the hols... But I don't know if I can take any more undeveloped relationships! #bloodyinstalove

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cover! I'm going to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home