Thursday, October 06, 2011

REVIEW: The Truth About Celia Frost by Paula Rawsthorne


Title: The Truth About Celia Frost by Paula Rawsthorne
Pages: 336
Publisher: Usborne Publishing
Publication Date: 1st August, 2011
Format: Paperback, proof copy
Source: Usborne



Summary (Goodreads):

Celia Frost is a freak. At least that's what everyone thinks. Her life is ruled by a rare disorder that means she could bleed to death from the slightest cut, confining her to a gloomy bubble of safetyA". No friends. No fun. No life. But when a knife attack on Celia has unexpected consequences, her mum reacts strangely. Suddenly they're on the run. Why is her mum so scared? Someone out there knows - and when they find Celia, she's going to wish the truth was a lie - A buried secret; a gripping manhunt; a dangerous deceit: what is the truth about Celia Frost? A page-turning thriller that's impossible to put down.


I got a proof of The Truth About Celia a while ago, and it sounded great. And then loads of blogger friends (Kirsty and Emma) were raving about it so I knew that I had to pick it up soon. 

As soon as the story opened, I couldn't stop reading. It pulled me in, hook, line and sinker and I had to read on because I really wanted to know what was going on with Celia's 'condition'. I was practically having a race with myself, trying to finish it as fast as possible!

You'd think that Celia Frost was an ordinary 14 year-old girl. But she's not. Celia has a rare blood condition which means that even the smallest of cuts could mean death. Her mother, Janice, has told her time and time again that she is different from all the other teenagers, and that she has to be extra careful at all times. As you can probably imagine, Celia is getting pretty sick of it all, and is beginning to question why her mother just took her out of the hospital after an unfortunate 'incident' (with a bully at school and a knife) and why exactly they are packing up their stuff and moving on to yet another place when she DIDN'T JUST DIE and it actually appears that the doctor can't find anything wrong with her blood...

I felt sorry for Celia because of the fact that she doesn't have a place to call 'home' and that made me really sad. Her life was so unstable and seriously, would you like to be moved to a completely different place at the sight of a potential risk? I was practically shouting 'YOU GO GIRL!" at the book when Celia started to rebel and do what she wanted to do, despite her mother's panicking. But then as the story progressed and I realised that her mother had a very valid reason for lying about Celia's condition, it was Janice that I was rooting for. For most of the book, it's Janice that we think is the bad guy, but honestly? She's got NOTHING on the real one. 

The relationship between Sol and Celia was a particularly lovely aspect of the novel, and I'm really glad that she did have the opportunityto call somebody a 'friend'. And Sol's family were just the coolest. His mum and two brothers made me laugh at various occasions. 

I'm not really sure what else to say, because there's a rather huge twist in the book that I don't want to accidentally reveal. Just let me say this: it's like, The Truth About Celia has a bomb slowing ticking away somewhere in the background, and when it finally goes off, you'll get the shock of your life. This is a thought-provoking, fast-paced, thriller bursting with lies. I know I'll be watching out for a certain author!

♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. I loved this books too, it is amazing. I actually just finished it yesterday, but I had a hard time putting it down! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanna read this one! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home