Saturday, September 24, 2011

REVIEW: Marshmallow Skye by Cathy Cassidy

Title: Marshmallow Skye by Cathy Cassidy
Pages: 256
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 1st September, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Source: Puffin

Summary (Goodreads):

SKYE TANBERRY is an identical twin, and she loves her sister Summer more than anyone else in the world. They do everything together, but lately Skye's been feeling like second-best - it's the story of her life. And when her friend Alfie confesses he's fallen for Summer, she pretends it doesn't hurt.

Skye wants to be her own person; but with an effortlessly cool twin, how can she? Will Skye ever step out of Summer's shadow and find her own chance to shine?


Cathy Cassidy is a writer most teenage girls are familiar with. Her books are entertaining, fun and thought-provoking and she's done it again with MARSHMALLOW SKYE - the second novel in a series beginning with the fabulous CHERRY CRUSH.

MARSHMALLOW SKYE was everything I wanted it to be and more. I loved the plot involving Skye and the trunk of Clara's. Some of the descriptions were just gorgeous and it's those parts that made me love Cathy Cassidy when I first picked Dizzy all those years ago. I found Skye's obsession with what happened in the past and vintage things fascinating.

I thought that Summer was really selfish in the book. For example, when it's Christmas day, Skye gets this really cool, vintage record/vinyl-player, and Summer is just like "that's really weird and creepy" and it felt to me like Skye felt a bit deflated. She even told Summer that she wouldn't use it around her, but why shouldn't she? It belongs to her now and she can do whatever she wants with it. The girls are nearly 13, and their Mum and Paddy are going to throw them a proper, grown-up birthday party to celebrate the fact of them becoming teenagers. Summer already told Skye that she was going to ask for one  and Skye wasn't exactly pleased about it because it's not something she's really interested in. So how come Summer can decide what she wants but Skye can't? That's when the teenager in me came out and decided that it really was't fair. Although I'm sure Summer had her reasons, I wish she'd been a little bit supportive for her sister. Being twins, I find it hard to beleive that she didn't get how upset Skye was feeling at times throughout the story.

There were times where I felt sorry for Skye, because she isn't a 'star' like her sister, even though she really wants to be. I can't really say that I understand what she's feeling because I don't have a twin, but I can say I've always wanted one and beleive it or not, I've given a lot of thought into what happens when you both don't agree on something, especially after I finished the book. Life can start to get really tough then.

As always, Cassidy's writing flows smoothly and I found MARSHMALLOW SKYE to be a lovely and also quite a surprising read. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series, which I'm hoping is about Summer, so I can understand why she acted like she did in MARSHMALLOW SKYE. Highly-recommended for tween and teen girls! ;)

Ooh, and this is not about the book, but more about Cassidy's books in general. Well, the covers. Have you guys seen the new ones? I'm not a fan of them. They don't really stand out to me. I've read most of them, and the cover models look nothing like what's in my head. Especially the covergirl for Cherry's Crush! So not Cherry in my eyes! The old, illustrated covers were much more fun and quirky. They kind of became Cassidy's signature look and I'm not too happy about the fact that they were changed. :(

♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. I want to read this sooooo much! I agree, I HATE the new covers! I'm glad they still kept the old ones for this book though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fab! Great review.

    @ Cliona - they are bringing out the new model paperback cover in 2012, so they are still changing them :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i soooooooo want 2 read dis book.Fab review !!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. so what exactly happens to skye? does she end up falling for someone else?

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home