Tuesday, September 27, 2011

REVIEW: The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Title: The Hollow by Jessica Verday
Pages: 528
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Publication Date: 1st October 2009
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed from library

Summary (Goodreads):

Growing up in the town of Sleepy Hollow, the mystery and intrigue over Washington Irving's classic legend are all part of daily life for sixteen-year-old Abbey. But when her best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Abbey's world is suddenly turned upside down. While everyone is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead, Abbey refuses to believe that she is really gone. And when Abbey meets the gorgeous, but mysterious, Caspian at Kristen's memorial she starts to feel like she has something to hold on to for the first time since Kristen's disappearance. But when Abbey finds a diary hidden in Kristen's bedroom, she begins to question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her disappearance or even her death? Hurt and angry at Kristen's betrayal, Abbey turns to Caspian for support...and uncovers a frightening truth about him that threatens both their emerging love and her sanity...


When I started to read The Hollow, I didn't expect it to be as great as I thought it was.

All of the characters in The Hollow are extremely well-developed and original. I loved Abby's character the most and I thought that the fact that she like to create perfumes in her spare time was both fascinating and exciting. And unlike many teens nowadays, she actually had an ambition: to open up her own perfume shop! The author included some of the most beautiful paragraphs I've ever read, describing the scents of Abby's perfumes in the most gorgeous manner. 

I adored the setting and the feel of The Hollow. The choice of setting was intriguing, it really set the mood for the novel and it was portrayed in such a quiet, tranquil town - lives up its name, Sleepy Hollow! I hadn't actually heard of The Legend of Sleep Hollow before reading this, but I can tell that the author has done her research because a lot of the plot is based on this legend, and that's what gave it all of this depth. 

The love story aspect of the novel was particularly wonderful, I'm SO looking forward to what's going to happen regarding it in the next book!

BUT, those are my thoughts after finishing the book. Whilst reading the first 100-or so pages, I thought it was very slow-paced and it was quite hard for me to keep reading. I'm glad I did carry on though, because it turned out to be awesome. I do a lot of that, disliking books while I'm reading them, and going on about something that annoys me, and then gushing about the whole thing at the end. I should stop. Haha.

The Hollow is haunting and evocative. Definitely one I'll be recommending a lot! Looking forward to reading the sequel!

By the way, I've read a lot of mixed reviews of this..from people who have it one-star right up to people who said it was one of their favourite YA books. Please read other reviews because not everybody has the same taste as others and this might not be your thing! (*cough* And I'm 'easily pleased' *cough*)

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. I've been on the fence about the book for ages and forever. I think I'll put it back on my wish list now - great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this series, your right Abby's love for perfume making really adds another layer of character development. This book also inspired me to buy a copy of the Legend of Sleepy Hollows. I still need to read the last book the Hidden. Trust me on this you'll really love the book after the Hollow - the Huanted is even better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home