Thursday, September 29, 2011

REVIEW: Abandon by Meg Cabot

Title: Abandon by Meg Cabot
Pages: 304
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 1st September, 2011
Format: Paperback, ARC
Source: MyKindaBook

Summary (Goodreads):

Last year, Pierce died - just for a moment. And when she was in the space between life and death, she met John: tall dark and terrifying, it’s his job to usher souls from one realm to the next.

There’s a fierce attraction between them, but Pierce knows that if she allows herself to fall for John she will be doomed to a life of shadows and loneliness in the underworld. But now things are getting dangerous for her, and her only hope is to do exactly what John says . . .


First of all, can I just say how much I screamed when I came back from being on holiday and saw the proof and finished copies I got of ABANDON? Because there was some major screaming going on. I mean, Meg. Freakin'. Cabot. NEED I SAY MORE? I will read anything the woman writes and the idea of a new series makes me ~*hyperventilate~*.

BUT. It's been a week and I'm still not entirely sure on my feelings for this book. It was weird, because the thought of not enjoying one of Meg's books was just totally bizarre to me. And it's not like I didn't enjoy the book, 'cause I totally did, but I.. think maybe the expectations in my head were just a little to hard to high because of how much I've loved Cabot's other novels.

ABANDON is the first book in Meg Cabot's new YA trilogy which is a modern retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone. I love Greek mythology, which was just an added bonus to the whole 'written by Cabot' thing, and I loved the mythology in the book, but I felt that there wasn't enough of it. I would have liked to spend more time in the Underworld; it would've given the book just that little bit of extra energy to fire things up and make it stand out a bit more.

The opening was awesome. It was gripping and exciting and just generally awesome. Why? Pierce just told us that she DIED, and then came back alive again. How would you NOT want to read on? I'm not going to explain how and what happens after because you should read that for yourself. You won't be disappointed, promise.

Some of the book was narrated in the past, and I thought that it not only made the book more enthralling, but we also got the find out a little more about what happened to Pierce just after she died. It did jump around a bit though and it was a bit confusing when keeping track of what was going on.

I liked Pierce. She's different from all of Cabot's other protagonists, refreshing with a realistic voice and the way she saw things was unique and I found that fascinating. There were some moments where I thought she was being dense but it didn't happen very often and if I'm honest it just made me love her a little bit more because she had ACTUAL flaws like a REAL person. The relationship between Pierce and John had to be my favourite part of the book, by a mile. It was so original and I admit that I did snigger a lot throughout all of the conversations between them. What? I couldn't help it! ESPECIALLY the bit about how Pierce escaped from John and the Underworld. Major LOLs guys. There was no insta-love, and to be honest, it's not even very clear if there's any love on Pierce's part anyway until the last half of the book. I wasn't a huge fan of John (who is Hades, yes?) though. I wasn't sure if Cabot wanted me to stare gazingly into his eyes or run away from him! I felt like we didn't find anything out about him, and that really annoyed me. I'm guessing that this was done deliberately, and that more will be revealed about this him in the next book! Another character I really wanted to learn more about was Pierce's uncle Chris. Why was he in jail??

I have to say that although the story wasn't *everything* I wanted it to be, Cabot's writing kept me hooked throughout the whole book. The way she wrote the book make it extremely difficult to put it down. The little passages from Dante's Inferno at the beginning of each chapter were a rich, captivating addition. And something I nearly forgot to mention: the island! ABANDON takes place on Isla Huesos which is the most perfect setting EVER. It's a made-up place inspired by Key West which I've never heard of before.The spooky cemetery, the tropical weather and COFFIN NIGHT. Oh how the mysteriousness of it all compels me.

ABANDON will take most people a while to get going, I'll admit, but it's definitely worth it. Overall, I thought it was a darkly complex, addicting novel with an intense atmosphere that I'm dying to get back in.

♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I did really like this book, but it just felt a little different to all of Meg's other books, and I didn't get that same omg-i-love-this feeling. Still, I enjoyed it! Great review :).

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home