Tuesday, July 19, 2011

REVIEW: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Title: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs
Pages: 352
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: 4th July, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher


Summary (Goodreads):

A contemporary paranormal romance out just in time to ride the wave of the newest creature craze: mermaids! 

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.


I've probably seen Tempest Rising about a hundred times on Goodreads, but never thought to add it to my to-read pile because the US cover was just horrible and I just didn't bother going to read the synopsis. When I opened the package from Bloomsbury, I still didn't notice which book it actually was, and assumed it was just a debut. Then I went to Goodreads to add it and imagine my face when I realised it was the same book with the horrible cover!!!

Mermaids are just one of the many paranormal creatures that are causing quite the trend in YA books. personally, I think it's fabulous. I adore mermaids - The Little Mermaid is one of my all-time-favourite Disney stories! *gets all fan-girly* Although, I have to warn you, Tempest Rising is nothing like the Little Mermaid! 

I think the love-triangle-y-thing in Tempest Rising is one of the best I've read - I found that both Mark and Kona were very different, each with their own good qualities, and it was hard for me to choose which one I preferred, and which one Tempest should be with, buy I'm pretty sure that she made the right choice at the end :)

Tempest.. absolutely loved her. She has such a lovely, strong voice and I loved accompanying her on her journey of growing up and becoming a mermaid. On the outside, Tempest has a perfect life, but on the inside she's falling apart and I really felt for her. The prophecy regarding her was very intriguing.

The novel started quite slowly, which almost stopped me continuing to read more than once, but I'm glad I did because the rest of the book was outstanding. I think what made me carry on was the authors writing style which was beautiful. There was the most gorgeously-portrayed scenes and I was enchanting by all of it. Tempest Rising is lively and incredibly alluring, a debut that is highly-recommended by me! Especially to fans of mermaids or sirens or anything that lives in the sea. Lol.


Author: Website | Twitter | Goodreads 
♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. I've seen mixed reviews of this, and I've never read a mermaid book, so I think I'll have to pick this up at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so guilty after your review, I need to read this already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading this awhile ago but then I stopped because it does have a really slow beginning! After reading your review, I think I'll give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've this on my tbr pile for a little while now, after your review I'll think I'll bump it nearer the top :D

    And yay for mermaids :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home