Saturday, July 23, 2011

REVIEW: Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton

Title: Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton
Pages: 272
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 3rd May, 2011
Format: eGalley/ARC
Source: S&S Galley Grab

Summary (Goodreads):

Anna is dreading another tourist-filled summer on Dune Island that follows the same routine: beach, ice cream, friends, repeat. That is, until she locks eyes with Will, the gorgeous and sweet guy visiting from New York. Soon, her summer is filled with flirtatious fun as Anna falls head over heels in love.

But with every perfect afternoon, sweet kiss, and walk on the beach, Anna can’t ignore that the days are quickly growing shorter, and Will has to leave at the end of August. Anna’s never felt anything like this before, but when forever isn’t even a possibility, one summer doesn’t feel worth the promise of her heart breaking….


You guys have probably noticed this by now, but I am a TOTAL sucker for anything romantic and ANYTHING that has something to do with summer! So Sixteenth Summer for me was like heaven. #notevenexaggerating.

Sixteenth Summer has one of the simplest plotlines ever: girl meets boy (and vice versa), they fall in love, and then dread the end of summer when one of them has to leave. It's nothing incredibly complex, just the story of first love. Anna (our protagonist)'s hesitancy to really fall in love with somebody, in particular.

I really liked both Anna and Will. The things they did together on their dates were described in such a detailed way that I felt like I was right there with them, and I honestly wouldn't be complaining if I was! Would've loved to have a bit more insight into Will's world though..his life back home, his friends, that kind of thing.
Meeting Anna's family was fantastic. I don't know what exactly it was, but all of them, as a family, were perfect. Like Anna, they all had their flaws and all the rest, and even though we didn't see that much of them, their personalities really stood out to me, and the way they bonded! Same with Will's mum and brother!

Regarding the relationship between Will and Anna..I loved that. I loved seeing them get over all the awkwardness that was there when they first met, and their feelings for each other it was all just.. *sighs* "You're such a romantic, Iffath." Despite everything I just said, I felt that it was lacking a *little* depth. Seeing the romance between them was one of the most awesome things in the world, but I had the thought that their relationship wouldn't last after this one summer in the back of my mind, threatening to come out from hiding, and it was heartbreaking.

My absolute favourite aspect of this novel was the ice-cream shop that Anna's family owned. How. Cool. Was. That? I adored that fact that they created their own ice-cream flaours and Anna had a big part in that. I mean, who doesn't love ice-cream? And who wouldn't want to OWN an ice-cream shop?! *is now craving ice-cream* Some of the crazy ones they had.. *giggles* It also really added to that sweet, summery air that the book had!

I thought that Dalton captured summer in the most magical way and I loveloveloved her ending. Unlike some other authors (possibly), Michelle Dalton kept the ending realistic and open, rather than something that wouldn't happen at all in real life, and that made all the difference in my overall thoughts of the book. Sixteenth Summer is everything you could ever want in a beach read! A fun contemporary romance that I'd highly recommend you read! Bittersweet

And GORGEOUS cover, or WHAT?!

♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. This ones on my wishlist! I really want to read it as it sounds awesome! Im glad you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fabby! And now I wish my family owned an ice-cream shop :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - adding to wish-list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good for a perfect summer read... and yeah, the cover is totally awesome!

    When you get the chance, please check out my blog! Thanks :]
    http://bookhi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home