Monday, July 11, 2011

REVIEW: Passion by Lauren Kate

Title: Passion by Lauren Kate
Pages: 432
Publisher: Doubleday (imprint of Random House Children's Books)
Publication Date: 23rd June, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Random House


Summary (Goodreads):

"Every single lifetime, I'll choose you. Just as you have chosen me. Forever."

Luce would die for Daniel. And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.


First of all, I have to mention that I do not like the cover at all. When I first saw it, I honestly thought it was a mock cover that somebody did for the novel because there was a few of those floating around at that time. I know we can all agree that Fallen was breath-takingly beautiful, and Torment was it's younger, more subtley pretty sister but Passion is like the ugly stepsister. Doesn't fit in with the other two. Hmm. I don't know, I think it's just the dress. OK, I just realised that that sounds a bit mean, but it's just my honest opinion. I do like it, it's just I expected something different and just more. You know what I mean? #meh

When this came, I was so incredibly excited to read it, despite the not-very-pleasant-to-look-at-imo cover! Torment finished on a huge cliffhanger and I couldn't wait to find out what happened when Luce went through the announcer! That was such a kick-ass moment, one of my favourite in all three books! And I was really looking forward to reading about Luce and Daniel stories from 'before'.

Most of the novel was not at ALL what I expected it was going to be like when I first heard about the new book. First of all, it was a prequel. I was a little bit unsure about it when I heard that it was going to be a prequel, but having now read the book, I'm so glad that Lauren Kate chose to go that way. Relieved too, as there was a small part of me that thought that there were a chance that Passion would get boring after a while. The prequel thing just spiced it up a bit! LOL

The visiting of Luce's past lives was just as I'd hoped it to be: totally made of awesome-sauce! It was fascinating to see how different she was in her past, where she lived, the people who surrounded her, and most importantly, how Daniel came into the story! I loved seeing Daniel's perspective of the story as he's trying to catch up with Luce on her little time-travelling adventure. It was nice to see his side, and how he was feeling - you could literally feel all the emotion in his words, it was so touching. I think that having finished Passion, I can now say that I feel like I understand him more and if I ever didn't like him, then Passion has me planted firmly on the right side! Then there was the aspect of the 'curse' which I found to be complex, full of interesting detail and generally really good to read about.

But then we are thrown onto ANOTHER cliff at the end and ARGH I REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT OKAY? 

Passion was fresh and fascinating, a total page-turner! There were some incredibly beautiful moments in the book, the kind where you just want to reread them over and over and bathe in the beauty - one of the reasons I find Kate's writing so engaging! Fans of Fallen will DEVOUR this, and I'm pretty sure if you're any kind of paranormal YA fan, you'll devour it too!

Author: Website | Twitter | Goodreads 
♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree on the cover. I'm not a bif fan off it! I loved Passion as well, great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home