Saturday, June 18, 2011

REVIEW: Swim the Fly by Don Calame

Title: Swim the Fly by Don Calame
Pages: 336
Publisher: Templar Publishing
Publication Date: 9th May, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publicist


Summary (Goodreads):

Three adolescent boys with a single goal: see a real-live naked girl. The result? Razor-sharp, rapid-fire, and raunchy, of course. And beyond hilarious.

Fifteen-year-old Matt Gratton and his two best friends, Coop and Sean, always set themselves a summertime goal. This year's? To see a real-live naked girl for the first time — quite a challenge, given that none of the guys has the nerve to even ask a girl out on a date. But catching a girl in the buff starts to look easy compared to Matt's other summertime aspiration: to swim the 100-yard butterfly (the hardest stroke known to God or man) as a way to impress Kelly West, the sizzling new star of the swim team. In the spirit of Hollywood’s blockbuster comedies, screenwriter-turned-YA-novelist Don Calame unleashes a true ode to the adolescent male: characters who are side-splittingly funny, sometimes crude, yet always full of heart. 


Now. What can I say about Swim the Fly, apart from that it was one of the funniest, most entertaining books I've read in a long, long time? I know that whatever I write here will not do the book justice, but know that while I'm writing this, I can't stop smiling, remembering all the fun I had whilst reading the novel. It kinda looks like this:


Matt, Sean and Coop are best friends and every summer, the boys set themselves a goal to be reached by the end (of summer). But this year has got to be one of the hardest yet: to see a real, live naked girl. Now you're interested, right? The lengths these guys will go to to try and achieve their target and beat the other two is extraordinary, and I can guarantee that you will be laughing out loud! But that isn't all.. we also get to see Matt with another mission on his hands: to swim the (100 yard) butterfly - one of the hardest strokes EVER, in effort to impress his crush, the gorgeous Kelly West.

There wasn't one moment in the book where I felt like putting the book down at all, and I couldn't bear parting with it when I actually had to go do something! There was so many exciting characters, Grandpa Arlo, just springs to mind when I think about them! He was just..wow - I can't even explain! You'll have to see for yourself! All the secondary characters as well as the main ones were well-developed and interesting and just so REAL.

Being a girl, you probably wouldn't think I'd be up for reading such a 'boy-ish novel' but I have to say that Swim the Fly is as fantastic for the girls as is it is for the boys. I mean, an insight into the world of those weird-creatures we call boys? Who WOULDN'T be up for that?! Let's form an orderly queue, girls! 

Don Calame has created a side-splittingly HI-LARIOUS, coming-of-age novel that will be loved by many, I'm sure. (Especially teenage boys :3). As well as being laugh-out-loud funny, Calame has managed to weave in fresh, snappy dialogue, engaging subplots and a dynamic cast, and then there's the most horribly embarrassing bits which I can't even BEGIN to describe. #teensFTW. Each page has been paced with the utmost care in an expert manner and it flows soooo well.

Swim the Fly is YA 'dude-lit' at its utter best and I can't possibly recommend this to you enough. It's the kind of book that SCREAMS to be on the big screen. ARE THERE ANY BIG-SHOT MOVIE-PEEPS LISTENING? ;)

The short version: THIS IS ME, TELLING YOU TO BUY THIS. The *perfect* book to be relaxing with this summer! It'll be a highly-memorable experience you definitely won't forget!


Author: Website | Twitter | Goodreads
♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. This books sounds so funny! Your review has made me wan to read it!

    Is that Santana from Glee in that smiley video?

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home