Wednesday, June 01, 2011

REVIEW: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed
by Josephine Angelini
Pages: 480
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Publication Date: 3rd June, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher




Summary:


When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton sees Lucas Delos for the first time she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands.

With an ancient curse making them loathe one another, Lucas and Helen have to keep their distance. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen ...


First of all, I *dare* you to read that synopsis up there and TELL me that you DON'T want to read it, because I KNOW you do. From the moment I heard about Starcrossed, I *knew* that it would be something special. My expectations were incredibly high, but Angelini did not disappoint. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but there seems to be a 'Greek mythology trend' going on at the moment, in the world of YA fiction, and I've been looking forward to reading something that would leave me with the same feelings that The Goddess Test (by Aimee Carter, which I adored) did. Then there's the whole 'forbidden love' element, and let me tell you, I'm a TOTAL sucker for any kind of starcrossed/forbidden/doomed romance. 
The plot was well thought-out, complex and intriguing and I LOVED all the greek mythology stuff. I honestly don't think I'll ever get tired of these kinds of retelling, especially when they are told in such a graceful, exhilarating way. The characters: loved them all! The supporting characters were exciting and interesting, Lucas's family in particular; totally full to the brim with personality and everything and anything you could ask for in a bunch of characters. I really enjoyed reading about the history of each of them as well. When you think about it, there was quite a lot to keep track of in terms of the background of the family, but it didn't once get to the point of complicated that I didn't know who did what.



"She [Helen] decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it."



At first, Helen is presented as a bit of an awkward character and I wasn't sure if I would like her, but it's only because she still hasn't uncovered what could be the awesomest thing you could ever discover about yourself has yet to discover that she isn't the same as other humans. Enter: the Delos family. Can I just say that, from the first moment Helen saw Lucas, and when she tried to kill him, I just KNEW I was going to be in for a ride. Seriously, that scene has probably got to be one of my favourite moments in YA history. Because how many other female protagonists do you know that have tried to kill a *gorgeous* guy from their FIRST EVER SIGHTING of him??! It's INSANE to the next level. AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Going back to my point about Helen, I felt that she really bloomed over the course of the novel and I loved being able to share that with her.


(I'm not even going to try to explain how different from a normal human being Helen is (or the Delos family for that matter) so I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to read it yourself. *she said in a matter-of-fact-ly voice*)

I loved the idea of the Furies. I wasn't entirely familiar with this story and the story of Helen before I read Starcrossed, but it fascinated me and it's got me Googling them. And it takes a lot to get me Googling stuff y'all. *serious face* actually that's not true..I Google thing quite frequently. Call me stupid! I totes am.

At times, Starcrossed was quite heavy and there were some really big plot turns that left me with my jaw on the floor, but through all of that, there was just some scenes and conversations between the characters that had me literally laughing out loud! How to describe the awesomness for you, in one word? Addictive. Totally, unbelievably, incredibly addictive. I mean, you should already have placed your order for it, if not, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. But I have to warn you: MAJOR CLIFF-HANGER-Y ENDING. ARGH. #thingsthatmakemeangry #needDreamlessnow *thinks this is Twitter* Oh Ms Angelini..you have messed my mind up..
Thank the Gods this is a trilogy. Dreamless will be out May 2012.


*Major* thank yous to the LOVELIES at MyKindaBook for sending me this! And the pretty little Starcrossed mirrors I have..so cute. Also, check out the AWESOME trailers for Starcrossed: UK trailer / US trailer.


♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. Ooooooooh! Iffath, you have made me want to read this now! I LOVE Greek Mythology, and this sounds like MyKindaBook :) *grins sheepishly at terrible pun*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my dispatch confirmation and mine should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starcrossed is a lovely debut by Josepehine Angelini that has a little bit of everything, mythology and romance, action and mystery. If you're a fan of Greek mythology don't pass up this unique twist on Helen of Troy!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home