Tuesday, June 21, 2011

REVIEW: Angel Kiss by Laura Jane Cassidy

Title: Angel Kiss by Laura Jane Cassidy
Pages: 304
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 5th May, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Puffin Post
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository


Summary (Goodreads):

Jacki King is fifteen and adjusting to her new life in a small village. She's missing Dublin but she's making new friends: artistic Colin, feisty Emily - and Nick, gorgeous yet unavailable. But no sooner is Jacki settled than the torturous headaches and nightmares begin - followed by strange visions, voices and signs...Jacki refuses to believe that something paranormal is happening. But then she discovers the unsolved murder that occurred in the village years before ...


When I received Angel Kiss, I was surprised to see that it was a shorter book than what I had expected, but it didn't put me off, and it shouldn't put you off either because Angel Kiss is one of the best paranormal/contemporary mysteries I've ever read this year.

Also, just thought that I'd mention that I love the title, but it may be a little misleading because the actual story doesn't have anything to do with angels. (That's not bad by the way. It's a #justsayin' sorta thing!) It's very clever and references to Jacki's 'ability' and definitely not to be confused with "one of those paranormal romances," because Angel Kiss is pretty far from one of those!

The characters were all great, fantastically developed and they were the kind of people you just wish you knew in real life. I haven't said that in a review in a while, but I adored Jacki and Colin and they are the type of people I would really love to know. A character I would've liked to see a little more of though, was Nick. I thought that we'd get to see a little more of his personality as well as his feelings towards Jacki, so I was upset that we didn't get more of an insight into his world. Another thing was that I thought there was a lack in a romantic relationship between Nick and Jacki, but I'm not too bothered about that because I understand the.. complications and they're resolved by the end of the book and another aspect of the story (mentioned in the next paragraph) pretty much made up for this so I'm happy :) I'm pleased to know that there is a sequel n the works though - 18 Kisses - hopefully we'll see more Nick in that!

The thing that really made me love Angel Kiss was the murder mystery element of the novel. It brought the whole book together. If you know me, you'll know that I love almost everything that features a good mystery in it, and Angel Kiss was like the cherry on the cake. Cassidy peppered the book with clues and I was on the edge of my seat, my brain trying to piece each part of the puzzle together and find out if the things are true or not. And also, the four-year-old girl who appears more than once in the novel, the one who sings the rhyme about Jane? Cree-py. (And made of awesome sauce)

Original, unpredictable and highly-engaging, Angel Kiss is a thrilling debut that is extremely well-written and will send shivers down your spine. Fans of The Body Finder will devour!

If you liked this you'll like: Pretty Twisted by Gina Blaxill | The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting | Wish Me Dead by Helen Grant

Author: Website | Twitter | Goodreads 
♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. I bought this a while ago, but haven't heard much about it/read any reviews yet..well until yours. Will definitely get round to it soon...like the sound of the creepy/awesome 4 year old :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't heard of this one - thanks for the review! :) I think I'll pick it up - I love this type of book!

    Amy @ Turn the Page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds scary! But I'll deffo be picking it up!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home