Wednesday, May 04, 2011

REVIEW: Strings Attached by Judy Blundell

Strings Attached
by Judy Blundell
Pages: 368
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 5th May 2011
Format: Paperback

Summary:
Kit Corrigan has always dreamed of being a star. But in order to get there, she needs to break up with Billy, who's going to Korea, and leave her family in Providence, Rhode Island, to move to New York City. There, she finds small roles and a city that's tough to live in.After she meets with Billy's father, Nate, things get a little easier. But Nate is a lawyer who defends mobsters, and soon Kit realizes that she has to do what he asks of her. Kit's life starts to feel beyond her control, especially once she uncovers a mystery that she needs to solve in order to protect the people she loves.

I haven't read Judy Blundell's What I Saw and How I Lied, but after reading Strings Attached, I really *must* have it!

The author had me totally absorbed into Kit's new life in 1950's New York. Kit was a really good narrator, I felt like I could connect with her and seeing her grow as a character was great. I wish there had been a little bit more about Kit as an actress/dancer, though - a chapter about how it felt when she was dancing or something like that would've been great since I really loved reading about what went on backstage. Blundell's writing is very atmospheric, and I really enjoyed soaking up all the glitz and glamour of Broadway! 

There was one tiny problem that I had though..it took me a while to properly get into it. I think because there was not much happening for quite a long time, it was hard for me to carry on reading. And the frequent flashbacks made it a little confusing as well. That may potentially be a put-off for some of you, but I'll assure you now that once the novel gets going (about a quarter of the way through?), it really gets going! In contrast to what I said a few lines ago, it gets quite hard to put it down! There gets to be times where I know what's coming next, but there's also moments were I was left in complete shock.

I really liked the whole drama surrounding the 'Corrigan three'. It was believable and cute and I liked meeting Kit's siblings, Muddie & Jamie. Not sure about my feelings towards Billy..the ending springs to my mind when I think of him. It was tragic, but things could've been prevented had he listened to what Kit had to say. And he shouldn't believe everything the newspapers tell him. But hmm.

Overall, Strings Attached was a really good read and I'm really thankful to the lovely people at Scholastic for sending me a copy! Fans of Anna Godbersen's Bright Young Things and Luxe series will love it! Highly-recommended!


♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home