Monday, May 16, 2011

REVIEW: Flawless by Lara Chapman

Flawless
by Lara Chapman
Pages: 272
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: 3rd May 2011
Format: Paperback

Summary:
Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She has killer blue eyes, gorgeous blonde hair and impeccable school grades. She has just one tiny flaw - her nose! But even that's not so bad as Sarah has the bestest friend and big goals for print journalism fame. On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into Sarah's journalism class and rocks her world. The problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too, and when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her attract Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do - she agrees. What was she thinking? This retelling of "Cyrano de Bergerac" is a sweet and witty romance that gently reminds us that we should all embrace our flaws.

I hadn't heard of the play Cyrano de Bergerac before Flawless, and I totally forgot about it until about half-way through the book when the main protagonist mentioned 'Cyrano'. I Googled it and after reading about what the play was about on Wikipedia, I laughed. It's really funny how Flawless is a retelling. I originally thought Chapman had just taken an old story and twisted it. A lot. But it's much closer to the real thing! Flawless is the kind of book that if not told well, I wouldn't be interested at all. But that wasn't the case because I now really want to read the original story!

I loved Sarah's loyalty to her best friend Kristen. Kristen really likes the new guy, Rock, and is trying to get him to go out with her, but the thing is..Sarah likes him too. But despite her feelings for him, Sarah helps Kristen to get the guy that she thinks she's (Sarah) falling in love with. And there's also the fact that Kristen has nothing in common with Rock. So she asks Sarah to 'pretend to be her' online and send him intelligent emails. Sneaky, right?!

Sarah is so lovely. She's just the type of person you can find yourself relating to. All of us girls worry about our flaws day in day out, about falling in love with the same guy as our best friend, and through all that, Sarah manages to hold up, even when her emotions sometimes get the better of her.

For me, there was a little something missing from the novel, that I can't put my finger on, and there were some really confusing parts (that reporter woman..what was her problem? And Sarah's mother was practically shoving leaflets about nose jobs at Sarah! What was up with THAT?! But she toned down a little for most of the book..), but I can honestly say that I did enjoy Flawless. Although Flawless was pretty short, there was a really important message in the heart of this novel, about accepting who you are and always being loyal to yourself and I hope that somebody, somewhere, will pick this up and learn to get over their worries and e happy the way they are. <3

The cover..when I first saw the cover, I was a bit unsure about it. I mean, she doesn't have A NOSE. When I was younger, I used to LOVE Bratz dolls, but it used to really annoy me that they didn't have a nose, y'know what I mean?! But then I read the book..and it made me laugh because I can understand how it could be difficult portraying that. *giggles* I really like the simplicity of the cover though, it works., especially how they put the title right where the nose should be..hehe.


♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome!!!!!! I would have thought Sarah wouldn't be nice, but it just shows! I SO want to read this now! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one too! And yeah, I was the same with the cover :L Kristen did kind of get on my nerves a bit... But it was all good :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home