Tuesday, April 26, 2011

REVIEW: The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks

The Reformed Vampire Support Group
Author: Catherine Jinks
Pages: 352
Publisher: Quercus Publishing
Publication Date: 4th June 2009
Paperback.

From Amazon
The trouble with being a vampire is...You can't get a decent haircut. You live on guinea-pig blood. And even worse, most of the world's population wants to kill you for no good reason. Nina Harrison became a vampire in 1973, when she was fifteen. Since then, life's been one big drag - mostly because she spends all her time with a bunch of vampires, in a vampire therapy group. Then one of them gets staked by an anonymous vampire slayer, and things become even worse: while tracking down the culprit, Nina and her fellow vampires end up in the middle of an illegal werewolf-fighting racket, and find themselves the target of some genuine villains who'll stop at nothing to get their werewolf back.

The Reformed Vampire Support Group was a book that is very different from other vampire novels. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either, I'm somewhere in the middle. There is a more realistic twist to vampires.

Nina Harrison is tired of being a vampire. She's a 51 year-old stuck in the body of a 15 year-old, and she doesn't even have any of those super-cool vampire abilities, instead, there is temptations of human blood, physical weakness and general nausea. Life is hard. And boring. But when one of her fellow reformed vampires is staked, Nina is the one who has to track down the killer, with the help of the Father Ramon - the priest in charge of the support group - her scary mother, and the other vampires in the group.


***


What I liked most about Jinks' take on vampires is how unusual but realistic-sounding it is, you won't find another vampire book like this. These aren't the sparkly kind we all love, but actual, old (though they don't' always look it) people who face everyday problems as much as the next person. The idea of a support group for them really made me laugh!


The concept is fantastic and very unique! Jinks has transformed the idea of whiny, old vampires into a fresh approach which is both humourous and actually believable. The novel is a basic mystery, and the well-developed characters help to build it into something even better. I did think some parts of the books were a bit too long though, and they lacked that air of intrigue the rest of the book had.


Reuben, a teenage werewolf with serious problems (..more than just his attitude!) has to be my favourite character. I thought he was a great addition to the story. His story was fantastic, his portrayal contrasted well against werewolves in other stories. It's not only the way he is described that makes him sound so charming, it was his story that really drew me in.


With just the right amount of subtle romance, fascinating voices, and unpredictability, The Reformed Vampire Support Group is a memorable read. 


Although I didn't love this as much as I thought I would, I'm hoping it's sequel/companion novel, The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group, will be more enjoyable.


♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. I kind of liked this one. It wasn't too intense of a story though. I had wished it went a little bit deeper. I couldn't even make it through the werewolf one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reviews, they always just flow so well. Maybe not for me but good to know that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home