Tuesday, April 26, 2011

BLOG TOUR: Yvonne Woon's Top 5 Teen Reads


I'm today's tour stop on the UK blog tour for Yvonne Woon's Dead Beautiful! My review won't be up until Monday, but I have here now a great post from Yvonne on her top 5 teen reads for you!
~
Yvonne Woon's topteen reads

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Jane Eyre is one of my staples, along with the dictionary, tea, bagels, and rainbow cookies. The foggy moors, the masculine and mysterious Mr. Rochester, the drafty old mansion, and Jane—who I would argue is one of the strongest female characters in literature. . .  What more could one ask for?
And as a writer, I still learn from Charlotte Bronte’s sentences and character crafting. She is a true wordsmith.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by MT Anderson
This book is very strange and disorienting, and gets even stranger the more you read it. Yet by the end, it makes perfect sense, and is horrifying. That’s all I’ll say about the content, as I don’t want to give away the ending, but I chose this book because I literally can’t get it out of my mind. I read it a few years ago, and Octavian and his role in American history has been haunting me ever since.

Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Kurt Vonnegut was my favorite author as a teen, and is still the funniest and most eccentric writer I’ve ever read. Growing up, I had an obsession with super-villains and their plots of mass destruction, and Cat's Cradle has the BEST world-ending weapon in it, maybe of all time.

On a side note: Kurt Vonnegut has been such an influential character in my life that in my house, instead of using the word “cat,” we call animals of the feline persuasion “Little Vonneguts,” which you’ll understand if you read Breakfast of Champions.

Love Story by Erich Segal
The first time I read this book, I was fifteen. I read it in one sitting, and when I finished, I just wept and wept until I fell asleep. Since then, I’ve read it at least a dozen times, and each time, I still cry myself to sleep. I don’t really know what else to say other than that everyone should read it.

Shiver by Maggie Steifvater
The writing is beautiful, fresh, and different; the characters are primal, and remind me of a fairy tale. I love the paranormal genre, and I think Shiver is paranormal at its most vibrant. Every page feels like its pouring from the soul.

~
Thank you, Yvonne! I have to admit that I haven't read any of these (yet) except Shiver, which I *adored*. I'll have to pick them all up sometime, I *have* been eyeing Jane Eyre for quite some time..

Have you guys read any of these? What did you think?
~



Yvonne Woon grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA, in an old stone colonial house surrounded by woods. It was here that she first developed a taste for the macabre, and she has been writing mysteries ever since. Yvonne attended the prestigious Worcester Academy prep school in Boston, where, like Renée, the length of her skirt was routinely measured. She first began thinking about Latin and the Undead while studying in the library of Colunbia University, New York, where she obtained a Masters of Fine Arts in fiction. Dead Beautiful is her debut novel.

For the full tour schedule, go here.

♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home