Thursday, March 03, 2011

REVIEW: Rockoholic by CJ Skuse

Rockoholic 
by CJ Skuse
Pages: 368
Publisher: Chicken House
Publication Date: 3rd March 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
Jody loves Jackson Gatlin. At his only UK rock concert, she's right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush and carried back stage she has more than concussion to contend with. Throw in a menacing manager, a super-wired super-star, and a curly-wurly, and she finds herself taking home more than just a poster. It's the accidental kidnapping of the decade. But what happens if you've a rock-god in your garage who doesn't want to leave Jody's stuck between a rock-idol and a hard place! From the pen of C.J. Skuse, author of 2010's super cool debut Pretty Bad Things, comes a tale of rock star obsession gone nuts.

I read CJ's debut last year, Pretty Bad Things and it was one of my favourite books of 2010, and it's still 
something that I find myself recommending a lot.

Jody is your typical teenager, with as many problems as the next one. She'sobsessed with The Regulators, a American rock band who are just THE AWESOMEST, but even more with their lead, Jackson Gatlin. She knows everything there is to know about him, and even tries to *be* like him - Jackson loves novels by Stephen King, which obviously means Jody must love them too - and I can totally see where she's coming from. 

But then Jody *accidentally* kidnaps Jackson after one of The Regulators' concerts. And the thing is, Jody knows it's wrong, but to her, he is like God, and she only wants to spend a little time with him. It'll be perfect, she's seen it played out in her head so many times she's convinced herself it's a good idea. Best friend Mac also knows it's wrong, but he can't seem to not help her, because they are best friends, despite his hatred for all things Jackson Gatlin-related. Jody's having the time of life, even if it's not exactly how she pictured things to be with Jackson, but she soon realises that there's a difference between reality and her imagination, and that the real Jackson is not the same person she found herself obsessing over, previously.  

How amazing does this book sound to you? Seriously? A teenager who KIDNAPS HER FAVOURITE ROCKSTAR? This is a totally awesome thing because dude, who *wouldn't* want to kidnap their favourite rock star?! Because I know that I certainly would LOVE to!

Jody is going through a rough time with the recent loss of her grandfather (the novel starts at his funeral), and the novel highlights some other family issues which was great. I felt that throughout the course of the book, Jody learned so much; The difference between the ideal life and the one that we really live being the most important one, and another pretty important one, how to appreciate herself. 

Skuse manages to make me able to put myself in the sitiuation that Jody is in. Not only are her characters realistic, but fun and they are written in the way that I would probably want to be surgically attached to them if they were real. You know how in some books, the writer has tried to make the characters sound like real people, a little bit too much? Well I always feel in happens in a lot of the books I read, but in Pretty Bad Things and Rockoholic it really doesn't. Skuse makes it look so easy and doesn't overdo it at all. I wish my writing was like that.

It's books like this that make me appreciate what it's like to be a teen. It also reminds me that I *am* a teen  and how much FUN I had reading this. The romance aspect was simple, but really effective: sweet and real. Just like I said in my review of Pretty Bad Things, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS. 

And to the music fans: rock music is so totally IN. Reading Rockoholic will make you want to drown in it, I know I want to.

Such a great ending, I have to add, I think that was my favourite part of the book. All of my questions were answered and it left me feeling goodgreatWith a big cheesy smile on my face.


♥Iffath

5 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm, sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to drown in rock music... It would just be so awesome :) I really want to read this book! Sounds so awesome! Kidnapping a rockstar?! Genuis.
    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab review Iffath...you make me want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and relate to the music loads. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home