Thursday, March 31, 2011

REVIEW: Department 19 by Will Hill

Department 19
by Will Hill
Pages: 489
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 31st March 2011
Format: Paperback

Summary:
In a secret supernatural battle that's been raging for over a century, the stakes have just been raised – and they're not wooden anymore.


When Jamie Carpenter's mother is kidnapped by strange creatures, he finds himself dragged into Department 19, the government's most secret agency.


Fortunately for Jamie, Department 19 can provide the tools he needs to find his mother, and to kill the vampires who want him dead. But unfortunately for everyone, something much older is stirring, something even Department 19 can't stand up against…

*Contains one (major) spoilers.


Two years ago, Jamie Carpenter looked outside his house, only to see his father holding a gun, and then get shot to death on the lawn. Afterwards, a confused and grief-stricken Jamie and his mother are told that Jamie's father, Julian, was caught selling top-secret information to (for lack of a better word..) some very bad people.
Three house-moves later, Jamie's still struggling to come to terms with what actually happened. And now his mother is missing. But he's determined to find her and get revenge while he's at it, but it's dangerous. Incredibly dangerous. Is anybody safe anymore?

You guys probably know that I LOVE vampires, sparkling ones especially, but these are NOT your sparkly kind. They are pretty much the opposite. And (even though I nearly peed my pants because they scared the hell outta me) they are totally freakin' awesome!
I've been waiting for a while for somebody to write a book where the vampires are especially kick-ass, scary and ACTUAL bad guys, because whereas I love all types of vampires, there are lots of people who made a pact that they would hate vampires for as long as they lived..y'know, after Twilight happened. There was a lot of books that were really good, but I believe that Department 19 is The One. The One that will make everybody come to their senses and READ stuff about vampires (y'know, 'cause they're awesome..).

People think, because I'm a girl, that I don't like/read thriller-y things like this. But dude, this novel shows al the things that I LIVE for. A note for the fainthearted though: Parts of Department 19 are quite (read: extremely) gory. Good for me..but um..not so good for you! (That may just have been my favourite part though..)

What I most loved about Department 19 was that Hill must have done *a lot* of research and it really shows. The world he's created is backed up by historical facts and events, altered of course, but if I hadn't known any better, I would have assumed that they all actually happened. The author made me believe that everything that Bram Stoker has written *was* real. And when I thought about that..I got really scared. And there wasn't even anything to be scared about. But still..was if it's all true, what if there's stuff that the government's not telling us? Mind-blowing. (I know I'm just being usual-weirdo-Iffath, but THINK ABOUT IT YOU GUYZ!) The amount of questions I had going through my head whilst reading this book was unbelievable, and I really applaud the author for managing to write something so interesting that I could immerse myself in, without the impression that it was a boring school history lesson, of course.
Department 19 is extremely well-written, thrilling, intriguing. I loved it. I mean, I've always been a fan of vampires, but Hill's take on them sucked me in. I couldn't put it down. I even managed to get my one of my friends to read this, and she's a really hard to girl to please. There's a lot of books that she's criticized in the past, and I was so excited when she read the first chapter and declared her love for it to me!

I really liked Larissa. It's nice to see a badass chick like her once in a while, and I throughout the book I was kept on my toes, practically fearing her mood, how she can switch from protecting Jamie from harm to wanting to bite him in a moment. I liked Jamie's passion, I liked that even though it was incredibly dangerous for him, he still went to talk to Larissa. Still has faith in her, even if she wasn't always faithful to him. I thought that Hill did a fantastic job with portraying Jamie's feelings, and the urgency to save his mother from Alexandru's grasp.
And Frankenstein..my heart *broke* when he died :(

From experiencing the awesomeness firsthand, I can tell that Department 19 is going to be a big hit. It's fast-paced, captivating, and crammed with action. It'll definitely appeal to readers young and old, both male and female! Really looking forward to reading the next novel in the series!


♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. I know right! It is gory which really surprised me, but the girl just creeped me out. I got so nervous every time she was around not knowing what she would do. Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home