Thursday, February 03, 2011

REVIEW: Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Siren
by Tricia Rayburn 
Pages: 384
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Publication Date: 20th January 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
Something deadly waits beneath the waves off Winter Harbour, and this summer, no one's safe. Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of the dark. And heights. And the ocean. And pretty much everything else. Fortunately, Vanessa’s fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to comfort her. That is until Justine jumps off a cliff near their family’s holiday home in Winter Harbour, her lifeless body washing ashore the next day. 

Everyone assumes that the tragedy is an accidental result of Justine’s adventurous ways. Everyone, that is, except Vanessa. Vanessa returns to Winter Harbour alone, looking for answers from Caleb Carmichael, Justine’s summer love who was with her when she jumped. But when Vanessa learns that Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death, she joins forces with Caleb’s older brother, Simon, to try to find him. Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who is afraid. Panic sweeps through Winter Harbour as more bodies wash ashore, all male, each victim found grinning from ear to ear. And as the death toll mounts, Vanessa realises that to save Caleb and solve the mystery of her sister's death, she has to confront a secret she’s kept for years - one that could end her summer romance with Simon and even life as she knows it. An utterly gripping paranormal romance for Twilight fans sick of copy-cat vampire novels but in love with paranormal romance.

~

I started Siren Sunday evening, hoping to read as much as it takes to get me into the story, so I can finish reading it all in the next few days. I wasn't at all expecting to finish it all in a few hours. Or that it would be as thrilling as it was! 

First of all, this is definitely not just any old paranormal story! Those vampires/werewolves/faeries/whatever you thought would make an appearance? Get them out of your head! Sirens are the new creatures in town! I haven't come across Sirens before, but Rayburn managed to educated me and at the same time scare me. A lot. I really admire her for that alone! 

Vanessa feels that her sister, Justine's, death was not an accident. She knows she has to find the answers as to what actually happened, she owes her that much. But then it appears that the only person who can help her, Justine's boyfriend Caleb, has gone missing. Just like that. None of it makes sense. Especially the growing string of men who are being washed up by the waves practically every day. With big smiles on their faces, as if the last thing their eyes laid upon was the funniest thing in the world.

Siren reminded me a lot about The Body Finder. Both books are completely different have that same atmoshpere that keeps you hooked, wanting more all the time. And you all know how I felt about The Body Finder. *grins*

I loved the main characters, Vanessa and Simon. Their friendship was sweet at first, and the way it transformed into a budding romance was fantastic, Especially the way it contrasted with the darker aspects of the book. Simon is smart, protective and obsessed with the weather. The whole weather thing *should have* bored me, but it totally didn't! I'd have fallen asleep usually, but Rayburn makes everything that comes out of Simon's mouth actually sound interesting (to me)! #isamegageek

The book really kept me guessing, leaving subtle hints occasionally. Despite all the romance and paranormal parts of the book, I felt like it was an true mystery story. Just so damn entertaining! The imagery swept me away. I swear the smile I had on my face when I finished reading the book was as wide as the ones found on the victims of the Winter Harbour!

Siren is a highly unique paranormal novel with jaw-dropping twists, and I loved every second of it. The mysterious death of Vanessa's sister and the disappearance of Simon's brother Caleb was thrilling (not that kind of thrilling!) to read about and incredibly engaging. It's full of action, suspense and mystery - fans of paranormal novels will fall in love! I'm SO glad this is a trilogy..I need more.

Major cover LOVE, by the way! They eyes are all foiled and sparkle in the light, which I think looks fab! And very significant to the story..


♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. Really? It reminded you of TBF?! I must get to it soon, then! Looking forward to it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very detailed review; LOVE IT!. I have been meaning to read this for forever, the cover is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! This book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the cover of this book - I looked at it recently and it's very eye catching. Couldn't make my mind up so put it down but this is a good review.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home