Monday, February 21, 2011

REVIEW: The Other Countess by Eve Edwards

The Other Countess
by Eve Edwards
Pages: 352
Publisher: Razorbill UK
Publication Date: 1st July 2010
Paperback.

Summary:
It's 1582 and eighteen-year-old Will Lacey's family is in trouble. After years of wasteful spending, his late father has run Lacey Hall to near ruin. Tasked with marrying his family back into fortune, the new Earl of Dorset is all set for a season at court to woo not just the Queen but potential brides with his jousting skills. But when Ellie – a strong-willed girl with nothing to her name but a worthless Spanish title – catches Will's eye, he faces a bigger battle than he could ever have anticipated.

I think I may just be falling in love with these historical romances. *swoon*

There was just one thing about the novel..I didn't actually understand what they were talking about half of them time. As you have been informed a million times before by me, I am still getting used to all these historical terms, and by that I mean, what on Earth is a 'doublet'? #isabitstupid

I loved all of the characters we were introduced to. They were so strongly-portrayed! Ellie's character: she so enthusiastic, intelligent, independent and determined to do what she believes I right, even if it lands her in the wrong. Will and Lady Jane were equally fantastic. All were very well-developed and I found myself eager to hear about what was going on in their lives. A the beginning, I thought that Jane would be some wealthy princess who Ellie would be really jealous of, and who would probably look down on her, but that isn't the case and it was really interesting to see how Jane was linked to Will and Ellie and how that affected their relationship. I was really relieved that feelings towards each other weren't rushed, it was well-paced and so much more realistic than if they had been falling over at the sights of the other!

And I loved how the relationship between Ellie and Will went from a slightly prickly one at the beginning of the novel, to a sweet, swoonworthy romance at the end!

The story is written in a charming manner, and although it was a bit predictable at times, it still managed to surprise me with all the twists and turns. I also learnt a lot about Elizabethan England (although I've forgotten most of it now..), which is a big plus because I am rubbish at history and rubbish at remembering things (or actually listening to them) so this was a fun way of getting me to learn something! And I loved the CLOTHES! I'm not going to say anything about them because I'm already getting off track..but imagery of clothing = WANT EVERYTHING.

The Other Countess is a truly gorgeous, rich book, full of history and romance, something you will find yourself drowned in within the first few chapters. I think this is definitely one of my favourite historical fiction novels! Really looking forward to getting stuck in to The Queen's Lady!


♥Iffath

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to get this book for ages! I love Historicals and if it can convince you to love them, I'm pretty sure I'll love it :D
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the best fan of Historicals, but I do like to give them a go, and like to be proved wrong from time to time. Awesome review as always of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! The Queen's Lady is just as good in my opinion too (you should definitely google Doublet as there's plenty more of them to come :P)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home