Saturday, February 12, 2011

REVIEW: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Low Red Moon by
Ivy Devlin
Pages: 256
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 7th February 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver - deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school - Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him - at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died. Part murder mystery, part grief narrative and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans. As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver, this is a book to be devoured in one sitting - by an acclaimed YA author making her paranormal debut under the pseudonym Ivy Devlin.

I knew I'd like this because of what it's about. *is a wolf-fangirl*

When I heard other bloggers talking about this book, I also heard rumours that Ivy Devlin was a pseudonym for a well-known author. It turned out that those rumours were true, and the author was none other than Elizabeth Scott, the infamous author of The Unwritten Rule, and others. Low Red Mon is her debut in the UK, and I'm so glad it was released here because I now know what it's like to be utterly captivated by Devlin/Scott's beautiful words.

Avery is a young girl who tragically lost her parents in a horrible 'incident' that she doesn't understand/can't full comprehend. All she can remember is that when she was found, she was covered in her parent's blood.
Avery's trying to get on with her new life, living with her grandmother, and when she returns to school, she tries so hard to ignore and cope with the staring and the whispering.

Then Avery meets Ben, the new boy who's eyes she keeps seeing glimpses of silver in. They are both attracted to each other immediately, but it seems that he knows more about her parent's death than he's letting on..

I just have to confess first that there was parts of the storyline that I didn't *love* like I did the rest of the book, if you know what I mean; there was a lot going on and it was a bit hard for me to take it all in. I'm happy to say that I did enjoy the majority of it though, and would recommend you pick it up!

The connection between Avery and Ben *should have* been a little cheesy, but it really wasn't. Devlin made me believe all the feelings they had that drew them both together and it had me hooked. I really liked Ben, and not just because of his mysteriousness and wolfness, but because of his sweet and protective nature, how he didn't want Avery to see him in his true form and how he made her feel good.

The forest had to be my favourite thing about the book. I don't know if it was just me, but didn't it feel so alive? I felt like there was something lurking in there, just waiting to grab Avery and never let her go. It was creepy and I loved it. There was a perfect mix of mystery and romance to keep you wanting more! It was so interesting to try and figure out what actually happened and when the twist at the end came up I really wasn't expecting it and it totally blew me away!

The front cover is stunning, by the way. It may look 'not all that' on the computer screen, but in real life it is all metallic and shiny! I love its significance to the story especially. OH! I just remembered that in the UK ediiton, which is what I have, the word 'moon' is in red which I thought was very cool and very clever! Like the US editions of Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater!


♥Iffath

6 comments:

  1. I recently got this , omg she wrote it? I love her work. I am really looking forward to it now, awesome review missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Ivy Devlin is Elizabeth Scott? What?! I can honestly say I am shocked LOL! The book looks really good, I have it on my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this for a while now...I need to go and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I didn't know that about the author. I bought this book this week too. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    Oh btw, I stole your button for my blog sidebar :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review - I want to read it even more now, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab review, it sounds like it's right up my street :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home