Tuesday, February 01, 2011

REVIEW: Grace by Morris Gleitzman

Grace
by Morris Gleitzman
Pages: 192
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 3rd February 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
In the beginning there was me and Mum and Dad and the twins. And talk about happy families, we were bountiful. But it came to pass that I started doing sins. And lo, that's when all our problems began...

I've never read anything by Morris Gleitzman before (although Two Weeks With the Queen sounds quite familiar) and his books are ones that I'd probably miss on shelves because I think they are targeted at a younger age than what I am and would read. I'm really thankful to the lovely J at Puffin though, for asking me to review Grace, because it's fantastic. Definitely something I'll be recommending for the younger year groups at my school!

Grace lives in a world where religion limits her options in practically everything. She's not allowed to have anything to do with outsiders, known as 'non-believers'. But when a incident occurs and her father gets banished from the Church, Grace thinks it's her fault, and that she must bring him back with the help of 'those outsiders' or forget about him forever. After setting out to find her father, to put things right and explain to the Church that it wasn't his fault, Grace begins to realise that her father's expelling had nothing to do with her. When things finally fall into place in her head, can she convince her mother of the truth, and prove her father's innocence?

I myself am quite a religious person, and it was incredibly interesting to read about how Grace's family and the rest of the people who belong to the Church live. It taught me about how a religion can control a person's life and how lucky I am that I have the right to a free religion.

The thing I loved most about this book was Grace. I loved that she asked so many questions, and that she was so eager to know things. It showed how understanding she was and I really admired her for that.
Grace is young, sweet and innocent. She tries so hard to keep her family together, even though she knows she's going against all of the rules, and tests her faith to see if God really is there and ready to help her. She had to learnt things the hard way and it pained me to see her hurt when the situation with her father had happened. Nobody should be asked what Grace was asked to do. It's a horrible, horrible thing to ask of somebody, especially someone as young as her. I just wanted to pick her up and hug her tight.

(By the way, Delilah, Grace's so-called best friend, was SO annoying. I hated her for not having faith in Grace. and not looking out for her. The amount of support she gave to Grace in her time of need [= none] was horrible of her. Just thought I'd say that.)

There were lots of different emotions that I thought were portrayed particularly well, both physically and mentally, especially Grace's. Also, before reading this, I was a little cautious because it was religious book, and I don't tend to read many of them. But in Grace, the religious aspect doesn't overpower everything that's going on in the book, and it's not too in-you-r-face which I was afraid of, even though it's a big part of the story.

Grace is a brilliant coming-of-age story. It's thought-provoking, powerful and deals with a complex situation in the perfect manner. I'm looking forward to reading more of Morris Gleitzman.


♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful, great review Iffath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really good, great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home