Tuesday, January 25, 2011

REVIEW: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King 
by Julie Kagawa
Pages: 384
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: 21st January 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
My name is Meghan Chase. In less than twenty-four hours I'll be sixteen. Countless stories, songs and poems have been written about this wonderful age, when a girl finds true love and the stars shine for her and the handsome prince carries her off into the sunset. I don't think it will be that way for me. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school...or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical fairy king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face...and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I've had The Iron King on my TBR for nearly a year, after I won it in a contest. I never got round to reading it because I was so busy and forgot about it, and then I heard about it being published in the UK and I was encouraged to finally pick it up. I was SO excited to start it after reading raving reviews of it and seeing it being compared to The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney (which I loved).  I started it on the 15th and only just finished it a few days ago. I usually finish books this size in about two days so I'm not sure what impression that would give out. I'm not entirely sure of my feelings towards it too.

I'd love to say The Iron King was exactly was I expected it to be, but then I'd be lying just a little. In my own opinion, I thought it was a bit of a disappointment after seeing it hyped up so much. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it though, because most of it was fantastic, but it some parts weren't FANTASTIC, y'know what I'm trying to say? It grabbed me, but it didn't exactly keep me hooked.

Throughout most of the book, I though Meghan's character was lacking in this new-to-her magical, dark world, and she relies quite a lot on Ash and Puck to tell her what to do. She did have a lot of determination though, which I'll give her points for. I can see the similarity to The Iron Witch, how she won't stop at anything to find her brother, like Donna with Navin.

I'm really glad to say that even though I didn't think so much of the book, there were some great elements about it; Grimalkin, oh my God. I think he was just my favourite. And is it me, or did anybody else think he reminded them of the Cheshire Cat?! I <3 the Cheshire Cat! I found him very humourous and him being around made a lot of the scenes more interesting.

I know there's this big debate going on about whether you are Team Ash or Team Puck. Hmm. I liked both of them but I'm not sure who I'd pick. I though Puck was fantastic..he sounded like a really nice guy and definitely the friendly dude she's known for years. I really hope he doesn't die. His loyalty to Meghan was lovely and showed he genuinely cared for her. Then there's Ash, a Winter prince who has these shiveringly beautiful looks and it's quite unclear if he *does* care about Meghan or not. It was pretty obvious who the love interest would be. I did like Ash, there were some really subtle but sweet moments between him and Meghan, but I have this feeling that the romance aspect of it would've been taken to another level if it had been Puck. But that's just me :)

My favourite part of The Iron King had to be the first scene in the computer lab..that really made me laugh, but I never really understood what actually happened, although I have an idea that might be right. It's the parts like this that made me enjoy this book, even though there were things I disliked about it. The journey to find The Iron King, King Machina, was unpredictable, exciting and risky, it had a real edge to it that I liked,  although at times it felt like they weren't actually getting anywhere, which might be why it took me so long to finish the book.

The idea of the book being inspired by A Midsummer's Night Dream was awesome! You have a lot of traditional ideas thrown in the story which gave it a lot of depth and I love how the author has combined the mythology in the story in such a unique way. The Fey exist, and the fewer humans that believe in them, the weaker they become. It reminded me of Peter Pan in that cool, dreamy way.

I'm pretty sure I have The Iron Daughter on NetGalley, so I'll make sure I read it because I *do* want to know what happens next. I'm hoping that I'll like it better and see that everyone else *was* right :)

*Please don't be put off by my review, I know a lot of other people really enjoyed The Iron King! I hope you'll read more reviews if you have yet to read it, give it a try if it sounds like your kind of thing!


♥Iffath

4 comments:

  1. Great review! Grimalkin is amazing! I want a t-shirt with his face on :P I know what you mean about Meghan as well though, but the series does get better. The Iron Queen is fab! Team Ash! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this book last week so I still need to start it. It looks really good for the most part though.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a massive review! I've heard great things about this series as well, which always makes me worried about being disappointed while reading! Sounds like you still really enjoyed this one even if it wasn't fantastic fantastic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, Ive yet to start the series so I can't say anything about it yet...but it seems that there's a huge hype about it!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home