Wednesday, January 05, 2011

REVIEW: Entangled by Cat Clarke

Entangled
by Cat Clarke
Pages: 256
Publisher: Quercus Publishing Plc
Publication Date: 6th January 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
The same questions whirl round and round in my head:
What does he want from me?
How could I have let this happen?
AM I GOING TO DIE?

17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with a table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got here.

As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see?

Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here?

A story of dark secrets, intense friendship and electrifying attraction.

This book = L-O-V-E.

You might now that I have a TBR pile that is immensely huge and I really shouldn't have picked up and started reading Entangled, but it was incredibly hard to resist. My intention was to read just a couple of chapters because I was in the middle of another book at the moment. But a while later later I was so immersed in the story, I knew I was going to finish the novel in one sitting; and I did. With the help of some delicious-tasting cheese. And I happen to know that Cat is obsessed with cheese. #thingsthatmakemesmile #wrongsocialnetworkingsite

When Grace wakes up in a strange, all-white room, she has no idea as to how she could possibly have got there. Locked in for God knows how long by the mysterious Ethan, the only diversion from her confused mind Grace has is some pens and papers. And so she begins writing her story.

She writes about her relationship with her best friend Sal and her fierce feelings for gorgeous boyfriend Nat. We begin to unravel the mystery of how she ended up finding herself in the white room and learnt the truth about Grace and the two most important people in her life in a heartbreaking way.


I don't want to go into too much detail about the story, because I don't want to give anything away, but I really think Entangled is one of those books you just need to read for yourself. It's all about the experience baby! And the experience is pretty MAJORLY awesome.


Grace was a pretty weird character, which, in my eyes, translates into the perfect teenage girl. Her voice is strong, but snarky. She comes across as somebody quite unlikeable at the beginning of the novel, I really wanted to hate her but instead found myself strangely drawn in. She's rebellious, cheeky and obviously likes to have fun. And boys. Maybe a little too much of the latter. Some may even say her behaviour is a little slutty. *shrugs* Then there's the self-harming, paranoia and stubbornness.
As I explored deeper into Grace's fragmented life and saw just how fragile she is, I was heartbroken.

Cat Clarke has this amazing ability to convey such strong feelings and experiences on paper. She has dealt with everything in such a sensitive, delicate manner, while remaining to keep the atmosphere compelling and tense. Her writing is truly beautiful, even though the things she has written wouldn't usually be associated with the word 'beautiful'.

The mystery that is Ethan and the significant white room is an interesting one. Both stay just that, a mystery, throughtout the book. I had many different theories whilst reading the novel, but none of them were close to being right. Ethan was extremely well-developed, he fascinated me in such a weird way and it worked so well. He's indecipherable (it is 'in', right? Not 'un'?) and mysterious but warm and caring at the same time. A very complex character, was Ethan. He remained calm at all times and his reactions to Grace were intriguing to watch. As were hers on him; she would find herself hating him, practically having a one-sided argument with him, then going to obsessing over him in a second.

I really admired Clarke's way of bringing us the rest of Grace's story, with flashbacks, while she writes about what happened. She remembers bits about Ethan..how she met him in the park just before she was about to do something incredibly regretful, but that's it. he wants her to write and rememberer..but what is it that she's supposed to remember?

Entangled is dark and uncomfortable and it feels like the rightest thing in the world. On second thoughts, it is. I can't even properly find the words to describe how I feel about this book. Between now and this time last year, I've read a large amount of books but out of all of them, I'd have to say Entangled shines the most. It's is a truly powerful and enthralling debut. It's one that will take whoever reads it on an journey full of laughter, tears..and almost everything in between. It's what one of those books that really makes you think, it engages you and almost provokes you into loving it. It's one of the most haunting, stunning books I've ever read. It triggered so many emotions inside of me, I honestly can't recommend it enough.

It's also one of those that you find yourself think and talking about constantly. The ones that literally leave a mark on you. I'll say that Entangled is not an easy read, not a lighthearted read, it made me cry and it made me angry, but it despite whatever situation you are in that has left you so entangled, it delivers hope and that's the most overwhelming feeling ever.

p.s. Cat? You're writing is everything I've ever wanted my writing to be. Thank you for being such an inspiration, and not just to me.

Stalk Cat on her blog or on Twitter.

♥Iffath

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic Review, I spotted this at the book store today, must buy it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iffath,
    I've read hundreds of reviews, but this is by far the best one. Ever.
    I'm writing this on my kindle and once I've published the comment, I'mgoing to the online kndle store to buy this. Seriously. Your review is amazing and touching and exactly what you want from a review.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing review. Now I really can't wait to read this!! Sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, very interesting review! I'm really curious about it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab review, I so need to buy a copy and soon. :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home