Sunday, January 02, 2011

REVIEW: Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vlad Tod) by Heather Brewer

The Chronicles of Vlad Tod: Eight Grade Bites  
by Heather Brewer
Pages: 192
Publisher: Razorbill UK
Publication Date: 6th January 2011
Paperback.

Summary:

Vladimir Tod has a secret. His mother was human, but his father was a vampire...
With no idea of the extent of his prowess and no one to teach him, thirteen-year-old Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and enlarged fangs. And when a strange substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown.
But then he realises he has a much bigger problem. He's being hunted by a vampire killer who is closing in . . . fast!

Eighth Grade Bites is a fantastic beginning to a new series (at least, in the UK!). Brewer has brought humour to the much-loved (by moi especially) genre of vampires.


Vlad Tod is is thirteen years old. Oh, and he is half vampire and half human. Vlad lives with his Aunt Nelly, after his parents died three years ago. Nelly and his best friend Henry are the only ones who know what Vlad really is, and he's pretty sure he's the only one left of his kind. When a substitute teacher begins to question Vlad, it seems that this man knows more about Vlad than he's letting on. And what started out as his favourite teacher mysteriously disappearing, is now a much bigger problem because he could be being hunted by a vampire killer. As you do.

Vlad is a really likeable, relatable character. The relationship he has with his Aunt Nelly is heart-warming. I really liked Aunt Nelly, she's so sweet to be looking after Vlad. It's such a funny thing, how she can act so normal when giving him his 'snacks packs' (bags of blood), as if it's the most natural thing in the world, when it really isn't! One aspect I really liked is that the whole vampire theme doesn't take over the story. It's nt all full of biting people, drinking blood and whatever else you'd associate with one who is a half-vampire, no, Vlad is  still a teenager, vampire or not, and I'm glad that fact didn't overpower the whole story.

Eight Grade Bites is truly fang-tastic! I can't believe I've never thought to buy this before! I've always seen the books around the internet before, I think it's the covers that have drawn me in. I *really* want the hoodie Vlad is wearing on the cover. It's uber cool! *Hopes Penguin will make some Vlad Tod promotional hoodies and send me one send me them ALL so I can take over the world with Vlad Tod*

The Chronicles of Vlad Tod is looking to be a really fun and exciting series, make sure you remember to pick up a copy!


♥Iffath

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been meaning to read this for a while. I think you've just convinced me :) And ditto on those hoodies ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved this book - and yes I want a hoodie too!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home