Tuesday, January 11, 2011

REVIEW: The Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver

The Demon Trappers: Forsaken
by Jana Oliver
Pages: 448
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 7th January 2011
Paperback.

Summary:
Riley has always wanted to be a Demon Trapper like her father, and she's already following in his footsteps as one of the best. But it's tough being the only girl in an all-guy world, especially when three of those guys start making her life more complicated: Simon, the angelic apprentice who has heaven on his side; Beck, the tough trapper who thinks he's God's gift, and Ori, the strikingly sexy stranger who keeps turning up to save her ass.
One thing’s for sure – if she doesn’t keep her wits about her there’ll be hell to pay . . .

It's 2018 and seventeen year-old Riley Blackthorne is busy splitting her time between school and working as the only female apprentice Demon Trapper. Riley has always wanted to be a Trapper, always wanted to follow in her father's footsteps as one of the best Trappers around. But as they say, it's incredibly tough being the only girl in an all-guy world. Especially when some of the trappers will use any excuse the throw Riley out. 

Riley was completely inspiring; Strong, smart and totally edgy. She's doesn't care about what everyone else thinks, but she still has the same typical insecurities as the average teenage girl. She's pretty easy to relate to and the type of girl you want to be friends with. One of my favourite things about her? Her kickass job. Riley gets to trap demons. And she's a girl. You don't get many girl demon trappers y'know. I loved her determination to do what she wanted to do; she tried so hard. She knows that some of the people don't like it, but she doesn't care! It's what she wants to do, follow in her dad's footsteps, and I love how she won't let anybody stand in her way. Oh wait..she loves hot chocolate too..ahh, a girl after my own heart!


But Riley isn't the only fiesty character in the novel, oh no; nearly every character in the book has been developed richly and believably. I wish they were all real!

I felt so sorry for Riley at times, there was so much for her to deal with and it really wasn't fair. Beck or Simon..hmm I honestly couldn't pick who I liked better. They were both great characters; Beck with his spiky attitude and soft centre, or Saint Simon, which is how Harper puts it. He was extremely sweet and the twist that involved him at the end was horrible. Then there's the mysterious Ori..who keeps managing to save the day. I wasn't too keen on him at first, he sounded a bit scary, to be honest, but maybe he will save the day again in book two and my heart will melt.

The setting is a very fascinating aspect. The novel is set in Atlanta, but with a twist: it's in the future. Demonic creatures are running havoc amongst the streets and the it has become a place where school classes are having to be held in old grocery stores and coffee shops. Then there's the rich people who are busy hiring necromancers to raise the dead to be their slaves. Sounds like fun, huh?

Within the first few chapters, I was hooked. The book is very unique amongst the young adult paranormal market right now and I hope teens will pick it up.


Demon Trappers: Forsaken is Jana Oliver's debut novel, a first in a YA trilogy. It's a great mix of urban fantasy and (future) dystopia, it definitely had me trapped for more! A fast-paced novel that you won't be able to put down. May also appeal to readers who are bored of heroines who can't take care of themselves.. well this one does AND she's kicking ass for everyone else!


Also one thing I HAVE to include is that there was a McDonald's featured in the book. Even through the whole demon disaster. How. Cool. #sorrybutihadto




♥Iffath

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review! Riley sounds awesome! Can't wait to read it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!
    This book sounds great, and Riley sounds like an awesome character I'm going to love! So want to read his book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING review as always :D I totally agree about Riley, she kicks ass and I love it! I must admit though....Simon doesn't do it for me....I'm loving Beck & Ori haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab review, it sounds right up my street :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm so looking forward to reading this, it looks awesome! It's definitely the next book I'm going to order when I've finished the books from my last delivery :L

    Just wondering if there was a chance you could stop by my blog and fill in my form about a new meme idea I've had? That'd be awesome if you could, here's a link: http://cheezyfeetbooks.blogspot.com/2011/01/meme-idea.html

    Happy Reading!
    ps I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home