Friday, February 11, 2011

INTERVIEW: Kimberly Derting & Sneak Peek of Desires of the Dead!

So people..guess who I got to interview? Yeah..the only and only Kimberly Derting! Author of the awesome The Body Finder (which was one of my favourite books last year!) and it's sequel, the equally awesome Desires of the Dead!
I: Could you start by telling us a little bit about the book in your own words? 

KD: Okay, so the following aren’t actually my words, but they’re on my book so I’m claiming them as my own!  
'Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: J
ay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.'

I: What was your inspiration for The Body Finder? Where did the idea first come from?

KD: Would you believe me if I said it all came to me in a dream?  Fine, it didn’t, but wouldn’t that have been cool??? < Definitely!

Actually, my husband came up with this random idea about a boy who could find dead bodies.  As soon as he said it, I immediately started creating Violet’s creepy ability, and of course, changed his main character to a teenage girl. If you ask my husband, though, he will still tell you that coming up with that original idea makes him my co-author! :)  


I: In the book, there were parts written from the killer's perspective. Did you get to interview any real-life serial killers for research?!

KD: I didn’t interview any serial killers, although that would have been kind of awesome (in a terrifying kind of way, of course), but I did absolutely love writing from the killer’s point of view.  That doesn’t make me creepy, does it??? No, just a bit weird! But that's OK, because we here at Love Reading X are just as weird AND creepy!
 
I: Violet and Jay are such a cute couple. Do you think their relationship is affected by Violet's unusual ability?

KD: Yes, but I think in a good way.  Because they’ve shared Violet’s secret since they were kids, it’s just become a part of who they are as a couple.

I: Which of your characters, if any, are the most like you? 

KD: Sadly, my answer would have to be Chelsea. Chelsea doesn’t have an internal filter that most people have, and in all honesty, neither do I.  I’m definitely more of a say-it-like-it-is kinda gal even when people don’t necessarily want to hear-it-like-it-is.  ;)  

I: I think the cover of The Body Finder is one of my favourite covers ever, it's so floaty and pretty - I feel as if I want to reach and feel it's softness in my hands all the time! Did you get a say into what should be on it? Is it influenced by the book at all?

KD: Unfortunately, most authors have very little (or really no say at all) in their covers.  Fortunately, I love mine too!  I think what they were going for was something to counter-balance the creepiness of the title, something pretty and almost ethereal.  When I see it, I think of the lake scene, because it’s kind of like looking at the flower from underwater, just as the light is breaking through the surface. That's some pretty cool imagery..

I: If you were stranded on a desert island, which three objects/people would you want to have with you?

KD: Easy!  I would want a plane, a pilot, and a runway, because let’s face it, I’ve grown accustomed to certain luxuries in life...like hot showers!

I: Desires of the Dead, the sequel to The Body Finder, is out in March, and I for one CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT! Is there anything you'd like to say about it, anything you want us to look out for? *wink wink*

KD: Without giving away too much, I will say that the love story between Jay and Violet will develop more and it’s entirely possible that there will be a dead body…maybe two.  

Also, here is the jacket copy:
When Violet Ambrose's morbid ability to sense the echoes of those who've been murdered leads her to the body of a young boy, she draws the attention of the FBI. She is reluctantly pulled into an investigation that will endanger more than just her secret...but her relationship and possibly her life as well.



~


A huge thank you to Kimberly for answering my questions and to the awesome Sam at Headline for giving me the chance to interview Kimberly! I am *SO* excited to read Desires, aren't you?!


Check back in a few weeks when I might just be having a Desires of the Dead pre-order & swag giveaway... in the meantime though, you can check out my review of The Body Finder and read a sneak peek of the book..

Desires of the Dead Sneak Peek

~



Kimberly is the author of The Body Finder and it's follow-up, Desires of the Dead. She lives in the Pacific Northwest, the ideal place to write anything dark or creepy...a gloomy day can set the perfect mood. She lives with her husband and their three beautiful (and often mouthy) children who provide an endless source of inspiration.



*Desires of the Dead is out in JUST THREEE DAYS in the US, and on the 17th March in the UK. You can pre-order it here.

♥Iffath

5 comments:

  1. This was great to read!
    I loved The Body Finder. Usually I don't read those kind of books, but I just couldn't stop myself.
    Cannot wait for Desires of the Dead (:
    Thanks to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. If I was stranded on a desert island, I would bring Jay with me. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I feel bad, I need to read The Body Finder already! Great interview Iffath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I NEED Desires of the Dead I NEED it NOWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, I really need to read The Body Finder - it's been on my wish list for ages :D

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home