Saturday, December 04, 2010

REVIEW: Vampire Academy: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy: Blood Promise
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages:512
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 4th February 2010
Paperback.

From Amazon
How far will Rose go to keep a promise? The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir’s Academy was the deadliest ever in the school’s history, claiming the lives of many. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them - including Dimitri. He’d rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa—the one she has sworn to protect no matter what—and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most?


*May contain spoilers..read at your own risk!

In Blood Promise, Rose travels to Russia in hope of tracking Dimitri down, so she can carry out his promise. While doing so, she gets caught up with his family, who I really liked meeting. I love how, as well as the main plot, Mead has weaved in lots of other twists, I think the one regarding Dimitri's youngest sister Victoria and another of his sister's who is pregnant is just..I can't even describe it. Shocking might be a word one would use, but it's disgust I felt when Victoria was horrible to Rose after she tried to help her!! Especially after she had countlessly said how much she loved having Rose around. Le sigh.


As well as the Belikov family, Blood Promise introduces us to lots of new characters, we meet two more Spirit users like Lissa, an 'Alchemist' who sounds quite scary if I'm honest, and another person who I would *not* like to meet in a dark alleyway: 



I love Rose's determined mind as she goes on her journey to fulfil the promise she and Dimitri made to each other. I really admire her loyalty to him, and that she will risk her life because Dimitri would've hated what he had become. She finds out things she never would have dreamed of..and there are plenty of awkward situations she get's herself into on the way. 

When she finally finds Dimitri the situation is anything but ideal. It was such an upsetting thing, to see how much he had changed, but Rose was eager to look past that because there would still be that rare moment where she'd almost forget about this new Dimitri and look into the eyes of the old Dimitri; the gentle, caring Dimitri that she was in love with. Those scenes were extremely intense and made me realise how much I loved thinking about the two of them together. Their relationship before was touching, but it was heart-wrenching to see how it had transformed into something completely twisted (when you look at it in the right light) and I just wanted to grab Rose and hug her tightly.

Richelle Mead has done it again. Blood Promise is an addicting read, as we follow Rose Hathaway on her adventure. It left me wanting more and more, it made me laugh and cry and it totally messed with my mind. I felt we got to really *see* all the characters for the first time; Rose's mother actually showed some emotion *gasp* and Adrian's dedication to Rose really shines throughout the novel.


But two words about the ending..CLIFF HANGER!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the new red covers on this series. I daren't read too much of your review as I haven't started reading this series yet. I have the first two on my bookshelf though.

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home