Tuesday, December 21, 2010

REVIEW: Nearly Departed by Rook Hastings

Nearly Departed
by Rook Hastings
Pages: 272
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 4th February 2010
Paperback.

Summary:
"I've seen a ghost," said Emily. "Well, not seen one exactly. Heard one. At least, I think I have!" 

Woodsville is not like other towns. Night falls a little earlier there, the shadows are darker and denser, and everyone knows it's a place where strange things happen. Even if they won't admit it. Bethan would prefer to be anywhere but here. Jay has his theories, but isn't ready to share. Hashim sees more than he'll say, while Kelly's demons are all too flesh and blood. But Emily's freak-out brings them out of denial and face to face with the supernatural. 

Anywhere else, Friday night would be date night. But not in Weirdsville...

I picked up Nearly Departed from my school library because I'm participating in Manchester Fiction City. To read about Manchester Fiction City on my blog, go here. My friend had read the book before me, and said she didn't like it very much, and to be really honest, she wouldn't recommend it as uch as she thought she would have. This just goes to show how different out two tastes are!

Believe me, I LOVE scary stuff. Horror films, scary books, ghost stories, whatever it is (if it's scary) I'm there! And seriously, I've seen so much stuff that hardly any of it scares me anymore, (you know, except form The Exorcist. *shivers*). But Nearly Departed really freaked me out! I'm hoping we get more YA ghost stories because they are really something else! I Whilst reading the books, there was times I just had to stop and take it all in. What if that happened to me? What would I do? 

At first, it took me a bit of a while to get into the story. It was quite slow-paced and I found that nothing was staying in my head. But after about 100 pages, I suddenly found that I couldn't tear my eyes away from the page!

It's really funny how situations as crazy as this one can bring people from the complete opposite ends of the (school) chain. All of these kids know each other, but before this piece of homework, they would never have been caught dead hanging out with each other, but it's not like they had a choice really.  you know, it NOT being optional and everything.

Nearly Departed is one of the best (and spookiest) YA novels I've read in a really long while and I applaud Hastings for writing such an intense, gripping story, set in a creepy town you wouldn't want to find yourself in and extremely well-developed characters. I'm looking forward to reading Immortal Remains next!


♥Iffath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home