Thursday, December 23, 2010

REVIEW: Immortal Remains by Rook Hastings

Immortal Remains
by Rook Hastings
Pages: 232
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 2nd September 2010
Paperback.

Summary:
"You see, the girls that died – it wasn't by accident. They were cursed, every one of them. Cursed to meet a horrible death… And I'm going to be next."



Four freak accidents. 
Four mysterious omens. 

Four signs of trouble. 

Welcome back to Weirdsville…

Four girls from posh school Riverbank have been killed in seemingly random but freakish ways and it’s not long before Bethan and co. are lured into investigating the grisly case. Is it really just coincidence or is there something more sinister going on?
Meanwhile Hashim’s playing truant, Kelly’s on the warpath and Jay’s trying to avoid someone even more close to home… Himself.

I'm so glad that the lovely people at HarperCollins sent me Immortal Remains because I could read it back to back with Nearly Departed and that was something awesome in its self. 

The book takes place shortly after Nearly Departed ends. It appears that there might have been a curse on the girls who died and Kelly, Bethan and Jay are going to investigate. Hashim is still avoiding them, he's confused about all this ghost stuff and he just wants it to go away so he can be 'normal' again, but they need him. Really need him.

I had a whole paragraph that I wrote about Charlotte (Didn't like/trust her one BIT) but I deleted it all because I don't even want to go there. 

Throughout the book, there is a really tense, dramatic atmosphere which really adds to the spookiness, but this book needs to be anything but more spooky. *shivers*

There was some really funny moments in the novel as well, I didn't expect them to be there, but they didn't feel out of place at all. I mean, taking part in a ghost investigation is what everybody does in their spare times, right? Or is that just me?! I'd laugh, then feel guilty for laughing when things were so tense. Then I'd think "IT'S A BOOK!" Then it would be that I'm going mental. One quote that comes to mind instantly includes Kelly saying an Ouija board is like a kind of 'Twitter for ghosts'. HAHAHAHAHAH!

And DUDE, if you thought the ending for Nearly Departed was good great structuring and a fascinating storyline), well check out the ending for Immortal Remains! Well, it's actually about the last few pages, but they are..wow. That last sentence?! I nearly stopped breathing. Rook, if you're there, can you PLEASE hurry and write that next book?!!!


♥Iffath

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This is on my to-be-read pile...it's nice to see it has a good review! I should get started on it!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home