Wednesday, November 24, 2010

REVIEW: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 336
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: 26th May 2009
Paperback.

From Amazon
St Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school - hidden away, it's a place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St Vladimir's where the girls must survive a world of forbidden romances, a ruthless social scene and terrifying night time rituals. But most of all, staying alive.

A few weeks ago, I was asked to review Last Sacrifice, the sixth and final book in the Vampire Academy series. I had not read the series before, so the fantastic J at Puffin sent me all of the books to read and review. I read the whole series in a week, give or take a few days. The Vampire Academy series is my new obsession. FOR REALZ BABY!


St Vladimir's Academy is a private high school, but not any old high school; St Vlad's is a special school for Royal and non-royal vampires (Moroi) and the half vampires (Guardians) who are there to protect them from all harm.


Rose and her best friend Lissa have finally been found after escaping St Vladimirs Academy. Having been gone two years, the girls have a lot to catch up on. Rose has a lot to deal with, including snobby classmates, a potential threat to her best friend (who is coincidentally the last in the Dragomir family), and a crush on her mentor. The same mentor who just happens to be the *totally gorgeous* Guardian who brought the girls back to the academy. Um.


In addition to all that, it appears that Lissa is in more danger than they originally thought, and the special abilities she seems to have make her more of a target than ever..


Rose is amazing. I love how she doesn't let anybody get in the way of what she's doing and if they do, she fights back--and I mean *fights*. I loved her strength (both physically and mentally), determination and most of all, her passion. I have so many favourite female heroines, but I just have to say that Rose hands downs BEATS EVERYONE on the list BY FAR.


The bond that she shares with Lissa was a fascinating element of the story. Because Rose is shadow-kissed (..has been brought back from the dead), the cause of Lissa's doings, she has a special connection to Lissa. It's an amazing thing; we get to see a lot of what goes on inside Lissa's head even though she isn't narrating the story which I thought was great.


I actually cannot obsess about how awesome Vampire Academy is anymore, because seriously guys, you don't even want to look inside my mind right now--it's that mental! There's also some other interesting topics in the book, (including self-harming, which I'm a big fan of..I mean, it's something I feel I really connect to..), which was a very memorable part of the story. 


Vampire Academy is a thrilling journey made of awesome sauce that will have you gasping and sighing. At *everything*. *mega-high-squeaky voice* Richelle Mead is my hero! *fan-girlish sigh*

1 comment:

  1. I always hear amazing things about this book and series. I started it in Oct but didn't finish it. I'm not really into Vamp books, but I keep saying I'll give it a full go before I say anything!

    ReplyDelete

Show your love for this post. G'waaaaaaaan you know you want to.

Next Post Previous Post Home